Principal Network Automation Engineer
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
As a Principal Network Automation Engineer, you be working on the Verizon Wireless production network, including 4G/ 5G EPC Core and 5G vRAN applications and components. These applications utilize the best in class private 4G LTE, 5G Core and RAN networks and combine them with Verizon Cloud Platform (VCP) resources and ENSE fabric infrastructure to provide customers with the latest wireless capabilities, speed and capacity while contributing to the building of the next generation wireless networks. This is a unique opportunity to participate in all aspects of the engineering of automation and integration of virtual applications in the production network. You will be a contributing member within the Virtual Network Operations and Engineering (VNOE) Team, working with external vendors and internal teams such as Product, TP&D, Planning, MTCE and NI. You will have a strong, customer centric voice in assisting with as well as implementing the strategic roadmap of Automation and Virtualization of the network applications.
- Contributing to the VNOE organization in building next-generation Networks, including the 5GC & VRAN components.
- Understanding and contributing to the design and building next gen networks that will support innovative and disruptive consumer applications.
- Contributing to the end to end automation and orchestration of Networks applications (e.g., VRAN, EPC) along with the underlying web scale compute architecture using existing frameworks such as NFVD, Atlas, and Wind River cloud platform with end goals of zero touch provisioning, high-scalability, and closed loop in mind.
- Gathering testing and validation requirements and conducting FOA and trials in lab or internal FOA site locations.
- Providing insight into VNOE requirements while partnering with internal teams and external vendors to develop three or more years of the technology strategy, roadmap, and planning.
- Developing excellent working relationships with and work as a partner with HQ Planning, Product, TP&D, Network Implementation, and MTCE with the purpose developing best practices for the engineering and operations.
- Partnering with Planning to shape the future automation and orchestration framework that fits the needs of business requirements for VNOE.
This role may be considered as part of the Department of Defense Skill Bridge Program.
Where you’ll be working…
This is a work-from-home role performed almost exclusively from your home office with occasional in-person meetings and training.
What we’re looking for...
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Knowledge of 4G/5G Core and RAN technologies.
- Knowledge of cloud architecture and open source tools.
- Experience in building Container based solutions (distributed and standalone) using Kubernetes, and/or Docker Data Center/swarm.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- A degree.
- Strong scripting skills (Python, Anisble, SQL).
- Strong knowledge of IP networking including Virtual Private Cloud, VPN, SDN, DNS, Load-balancing, and Firewalls.
- Demonstrated experience building web scale/container based solutions (distributed and standalone) using Kubernetes, openshift, and/or Docker Data Center/swarm.
- Knowledge of delivering complex solutions / large systems to a predefined schedule.
- Knowledge of distilling highly complex technical solutions into business cases for leadership.
If Verizon and this role sound like a fit for you, we encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet every “even better” qualification listed above.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.