Network Engineer ( R-00048054 )
Leidos is searching for a Network Engineer to provide support to the Infrastructure Operations Services Support (IOSS) mission onsite at Veterans Affairs Central Office (VACO), 810 Vermont Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20420. May also require occasional onsite work at Capital Region Readiness Center, Martinsburg, WV and other locations in the District of Columbia commuting area.
Pay rate is 70,000 annual.
The mission of Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), Office of Information & Technology (OI&T), Information Technology (IT) Operations and Services (ITOPS), Infrastructure Operations (IO) is to support One VA world-class service to Veterans and their families by delivering results-oriented, secure, highly available and cost-effective information technology services. IO support helps to provide critical services focusing on consistent availability of Veteran-facing applications and quick delivery of benefits for Veterans.
The Network Engineer plans, supports and evaluates complex existing network systems and make recommendations for resources required to maintain and/or expand service levels. This resource will provide highly skilled technical assistance in network planning, engineering and architecture. Also provides and develops technical standards and interface applications; identifies and evaluates new products; provide solutions for network problems. Interfaces with internal/external customers and vendors to determine system needs. Plans and incorporates how new network resources and applications will exist on the network. Provide monthly metrics for network availability and bandwidth usage as well as other metrics as requested.
Responsible for network capacity planning. Use network management tools to discover, map and maintain the network. Responsible for network equipment OS and version upgrades. Responsible for conducting research of new technologies and implementation strategies. Monitor and maintain network interfaces to insure its highest level of performance and makes modifications and enhancements as needed. Responsible for documenting procedures and keeping network diagrams and related material up to date. Handle escalated user problems, questions, and request on network issues. Work with other groups within IS to resolve network related issues as needed. Leads and directs work of other Network Engineers.
Infrastructure Operations Data Center Network Operations ITC organization administers a variety of complex Information Technology (IT) network devices, primarily in support of Exhibit 300 programs for VA, VACO, VHA, VBA and other VA programs offices and projects. Serve as a subject matter expert and network engineer analyst within the Data Center section of Infrastructure Operations. This position is responsible for a wide range of IT networking and telecommunications services that typically extend and apply to all Infrastructure Operations (IO) and/or the VA in general such as installs, test and maintains Network Device operating system and vendor supplied software or firmware for use throughout IO.
- Monitors network capacity and performance.
- Diagnoses and resolves network problems.
- Actively participates in the management and administration of the VA network activities.
- Provides network infrastructure and NETWORK support for enterprise data centers utilizing firewalls, load balancing, LAN and WAN, and WAN Optimization technologies.
- Configures and installs various network devices and services (e.g., routers, switches, firewalls, load balancers, WAN Optimization, and other network system peripherals)
- Performs network maintenance and system upgrades including service packs, patches, hot fixes and security configurations
- Performs capacity planning/analysis in order to optimize system hardware and software performance.
- Monitors performance and ensures system availability and reliability
- Monitors system resource utilization, trending, and capacity planning
- Familiarity with Phyton scripting relating to Network automation
- Provides Level-2/3 support and troubleshooting to resolve issues
- Works within established configuration and change management policies to ensure awareness, approval and success of changes made to the network infrastructure
- Selects and implements security tools, policies, and procedures in conjunction with the company’s security team
- Works with customer and other IT personnel for problem resolution
- Plans, coordinates, and manages interfaces to remote VA computer systems.
- Ensures that Information System (IS) security plans that safeguard systems within his/her authority exist and are implemented in accordance with NIST and OMB guidelines.
- Documents and performs network administration functions.
Possesses technical and functional expertise; no supervisory responsibility
This position requires technical knowledge, abilities, skills and experience and often exercises judgement in the performance of their duties.
The individual performs work consistent with directives, policies, standards and regulations.
- Bachelor’s from an accredited college in a Computer Science, Electronics Engineering or other engineering or technical discipline is required with 5 years of professional experience; or 8 years of additional relevant experience may be substituted for education.
- US Citizen or Green card holder only with the ability to obtain Public Trust Clearance
- Proven hands-on network engineering experience
- Deep understanding of network protocols
- Hands-on experience with monitoring, network diagnostic, and network analytics tools
- Strong independent critical thinking and problem-solving skills in a rapid changing environment.
- Highly motivated and adaptable
- Customer Service Oriented (Customers are VA Stake holders, Co-workers and other internal and external contacts)
- Differences of opinion are handled in a business-like fashion