Network Engineer ( R-00054274 )
Leidos is a Fortune 500™ company aimed at embracing and solving some of the world’s most pressing challenges. Through science and technology, Leidos makes the world safer, healthier and more efficient.
Our Civil Group offers an array of exciting career opportunities for the best IT, energy, logistics and engineering professionals.
Leidos is seeking a Network Engineer in Centennial, CO. The Network Engineer will serve as a member of the Network Infrastructure team responsible for ensuring the continued operation and improvement of the United States Antarctic Program’s (USAP) network infrastructure, which spans three continents.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Operating, maintaining, and improving network security systems, including firewalls, Access Control Servers and Network Access Control appliances.
- Supporting the operation and maintenance of the USAP enterprise network.
- Providing tier-3 support to both on-site and remote-site personnel.
- Working closely with project teams to affect improvements to the USAP enterprise network.
- Providing specifications for network architecture, evaluating and recommending new technologies to enhance current capabilities, and performing needs assessments.
The Network Engineer will also maintain technical expertise in all areas of network and computer hardware and software interconnection and interfacing such as routers, switches, firewalls, WAN accelerators, VoIP systems, and physical cabling infrastructure. Specific duties include:
- Act as primary Point of Contact (POC) for all network security systems within the USAP enterprise network.
- Operate and manage an enterprise firewall infrastructure consisting of both Palo Alto Networks firewalls and Cisco ASA firewalls.
- Operate and manage Network Access Control appliances.
- Provide guidance and instruction to other team members regarding proper operation of all network security systems within the USAP enterprise network.
- Isolate faults and diagnose system failures to resolve problems in a methodical, thorough, and timely manner.
- Install, configure, maintain and document network hardware and software suites at multiple sites.
- Proactively look for methods to improve the efficiency and reliability of the USAP infrastructure.
- Create complete end-to-end plans including designs and/or upgrades for enterprise-wide LANs/WANs within the United States Antarctic Program (USAP).
- Apply approved configuration changes to network / security devices.
- Assist in the monitoring of network systems to ensure continued network health.
- Assist in the isolation of network system faults.
- Update and/or create network documentation.
- Provide engineering support to IT for new deployments, enhancements, or modifications to IT systems.
- Maintain secure networking environments based on industry best practice security standards in conjunction with USAP policies.
- Manages personal tasking as directed by IT management to ensure timely implementation or delivery of critical USAP infrastructure.
- Periodically deploys to Antarctica (typically between 6 to 8 weeks in a year) to assist with installations, problem solving, or information gathering.
- Coordinate any modifications to the USAP network environment with other IT departments and affected users.
- Assist with life-cycle management evaluations and recommendations.
- Review USAP grantee Support Information Packages (SIPs) to determine ability to meet requirements.
- Rotate 24x7 on-call support with other team members as required.
- Provide technical expertise to other teams as required.
- Excellent communication ability and the ability to work well with others in a diplomatic fashion is an essential skill.
- Continuously learn new networking concepts and skills.
- Perform other duties as needed or assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree and 4+ years of prior relevant experience or a Master's Degree and 2+ years of prior relevant experience; additional years of experience will be considered in lieu of degree.
- Effective troubleshooting techniques.
- Candidate shall already have or obtain a Palo Alto Networks Certified Network Security Engineer (PCNSE) certification, Cisco Certified Network Professional – Security (CCNP-Security), or equivalent, within 12 months of hire.
- Intermediate understanding of network security technologies, including layer 4 and layer 7 firewalls, VPN, encryption, and NAC.
- Intermediate understanding of network concepts and technologies, including routing and switching.
- Effectively able to convey thoughts and ideas using both written and verbal formats.
- Palo Alto Networks Certified Network Security Engineer (PCNSE)
- Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP) or greater
- Experience with Cisco Secure Access Control System
- Experience with Cisco Identity Services Engine
- Experience with Cisco ASA firewalls
- Experience with Palo Alto Networks firewalls (v9.x)
- Experience with Palo Alto Networks Panorama
- Experience with TACACS+
- Experience with the unique requirements of operating in Antarctica
*** Deployment to Antarctica may be required at the discretion of management (approximately 6 to 8 weeks / year). The individual in the position must successfully complete the physical and dental examinations as required by the NSF for deploying to Antarctica. Failure to meet these requirements may result in withdrawal of employment offer or other employment action. ***
Driven by our talented workforce, the Integrated Missions Operation builds trust through an array of energy-related IT, environmental science and engineering solutions to meet our customers’ needs.
Key Programs and/or Capabilities:
- Antarctic Support Contract (ASC)
- Large Infrastructure
- Mission Support
- Digital Modernization
- Command & Control
- Mission Applications
- Energy and Environment
- Engineering Services
Leidos is growing! Connect with us on LinkedIn and Facebook.
We value and support the well-being and mobility of our employees with competitive benefit packages, complementary e-learning training, work-life flexibility, an exciting External Referral Program, and a diverse, inclusive and ethical work place. In fact, in 2020, Leidos was ranked as one of the “World's Most Ethical Companies” by the Ethisphere Institute for the third consecutive year.