Network Design Engineer ( 589385-1C )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
The Cloud Networking group under the Global Technology Services Network and Unified Communication organization is looking for a self-motivated and forward thinking engineer to support the development, planning and implementation of Network Cloud services. This senior level role will focus on the planning and delivery of network strategies for Public Cloud using key technologies and an Agile mindset, as well as Automation and Orchestration. The primary responsibility of the role will be to implement network functions for the Public Cloud that enable Verizon application teams to move workloads out of the IT datacenters into Amazon AWS, Google GCP, Microsoft Azure and Oracle OCI clouds. This will be done in conjunction with team members by researching, planning and implementing network strategies that ensure high availability, network security and best practices. You will contribute to documented policies that impact the business across all portfolios. The network functions that are relevant to this position include Application Networking (Load Balancing and GSLB), DNS, Firewall and Network Security, Routing and WAN infrastructure connectivity. This individual will work closely with various technical organizations and business portfolios to ensure the development, design and delivery of the best solutions. Proactive design initiatives, high level communication skills, and development of next generation solutions are key functions of this team. Additional areas of need include:
- Maintaining appropriate documentation for internal consumption on all aspects of the network infrastructure.
- Experience with Network automation and Devops software development (Linux, Jenkins, Python, Ansible).
- Experience with HTTP, HTTPS, SSL, and other application networking services and protocols.
- Experience creating and delivering presentations to all levels of an organization.
- Ability to drive results at all levels, regardless of reporting structures.
- Limited travel may be required for training opportunities. Requires participation in on-call rotation.
- New technology development and testing.
- Self-driven control of technical/educational growth.
- Work with network support groups, help desk, command center and end clients to troubleshoot critical issues.
- Participate in group calls, manage project calls, and read out on status to management teams.
In this hybrid role, you'll have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days set by your manager
What we’re looking for...
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or fouror more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Experience inCitrix, AVI, F5 application delivery controller technology, network security, and network performance analysis and advanced troubleshooting techniques.
- Experience working with Public Cloud providers such as AWS, Google, Microsoft and Oracle.
- Willingness to travel.
Even better if you have:
- A degree
- Experience in a service provider network or large enterprise network environment.
- Professional level Public Cloud certification or higher.
- Proven ability to manage complex multi-organizational projects.
- High motivation, self-starter approach, and demonstrable leadership skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong problem-solving skills and an aptitude for learning new technologies with minimal oversight.
- Results oriented Agile mindset with a strong sense of urgency.
- Ability to manage multiple critical initiatives at once.
- Ability to work independently and be part of a distributed team of network engineers.
- Ability to focus on process and the customer experience.
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills.
- Experience creating and implementing a vision related to the support of large-scale production networks.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons).