Senior Manager of Product Platform Engineering
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
Senior Manager is responsible for Platform Engineering / Security for the underlying infrastructure (hardware and operating system) pertaining to mission critical Call Processing/Routing, Conferencing platforms, VOIP, CX Back Office, Unified Communications Collaboration, Enterprise Mobility Data Access, Fraud and Network Management applications within our organization. Partners with senior leadership on building and implementing corporate initiatives that support the strategy and goals of the organization. Implements standards, policies and/or master plan for the platforms (HW and SW) function. Ensures corporate and organizational security standards/goals are met/implemented within all organization deliverables. Manages the development and acquisition of new technologies and tools to improve the organization’s internal systems delivery.
- Lead a large team of full-time and contractor subject matter experts (SMEs) and leaders that provide all infrastructure support functions including platform engineering, systems administration (implementation and on-going support) on physical servers, virtual machines and containers running Unix, Linux, Windows, VMware and OpenShift.
- Understand, prioritize, and provide direction across to the team meeting the overall business objectives.
- Responsible for overseeing the successful execution of all infrastructure operations in a stable team / shared service provider environment.
- The candidate will direct and prioritize multiple Engineers to develop, maintain, and grow complex call processing and call routing systems.
- Direct and facilitate escalation and recovery during system outages including resource engagement, prioritization, and ongoing status communications.
- Serve as primary focal point for various hardware and operating system vendors, internal operational groups, Data Centers, and Network Management groups; build strong working relationships.
- Ensure that the systems and personnel are all operating at optimal efficiency assisting the application in achieving 99% availability; achieved by obtaining systems redundancy.
- Govern a large managed services contract.
- Hardware and operating systems vendor management and communication.
- Responsible for Systems and applications security.
- Responsible for asset inventory.
- Creating and defining team support processes, procedural, and policy documentation.
- Define and drive hardware and operating system standardization including virtualization and containerization.
- Direct and support implementation of cloud and container systems/infrastructures.
- Manage the monitoring, updating, optimization, redundancy and stability of cloud systems.
- Oversee and direct the timely evaluation, quantification and implementation of new product tools as they pertain to cloud and container infrastructures.
- Drive systems related automation.
- Point of contact for systems related outages, incidents, and maintenance events that affect supported mission critical essential applications on a 24/7 basis.
- Resolve issues of a complex scope that impact the team, customer and stakeholders.
- Maintain a high level of employee morale within the team, motivating them to adhere to best practices and deliver outstanding service.
- Develop, maintain, and report on team metrics.
- Life cycle management of HW and OS.
Where you’ll be working:
In this hybrid role, you'll have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days set by your manager.
What we’re looking for...
You'll need to have:
- Bachelor's degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Willingness to travel up to 25% of the time.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- A degree.
- A minimum of five years of direct supervisory experience managing a team of 25+ individuals across multiple geographic locations within a 24x365 operations environment providing relevant services.
- Full life cycle experience, responsible for the development of a complete set of architectural views for large number systems in accordance with one of the more common architecture frameworks; full life cycle management of HW and OS maintaining vendor support.
- Strong knowledge of design and architectural patterns.
- Experience of at least one of the commonly used methods, notations, and tools (e.g., Chef, GitLab, Puppet, Terraform, CI/CD process, Ansible, SAFe Agile).
- Experience in architecture development utilizing containers among applications and components and application interfaces/interoperability.
- Experience in software development methodologies and structured approaches to system development.
- Experience with the following technologies: VMware, Windows, Linux, Storage, Cloud, Containers
- Agile certification/s (SAFe).
- Familiarity with Data Center Operations and Basic Network Operations.
- Awareness of systems management and operational support tools and security and/or infrastructure experience.
- Strong business analysis skills and experience, including development of business vision and strategies, functional decomposition, requirements capture, process modeling.
- Strong team leader with solid interpersonal skills.
- Ability to recruit, motivate, develop, and direct people as they work, identifying the best people for the job; direct life cycle management.
- Displays a sense of urgency to resolve issues quickly and efficiently.
- Ability to multi-task and handle on a proactive basis, changing priorities in a fast-paced environment in order to maximize time-management and efficiencies.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully distill complex technical information into clear, concise yet comprehensive communication material.
- Demonstrated ability to meet rigorous deadlines while managing multiple projects concurrently.
- The ability to use Microsoft Office (e.g., Word, Excel, PPT, OneNote) and Google’s G-Suite (e.g., Gmail, Calendar, Google Sheets, Google Docs, Google Drive).
- Thorough knowledge of systems administration service management and best practices, to include the implementation and maturation of relevant processes, such as Incident Management, Problem Management, Event Management, Configuration Management and Change Management.
- Ability to investigate and analyze information and to draw conclusions.
- Ability to develop solutions for operational type problems.
- Ability to communicate technical guidance and instruction to all stakeholders and staff members.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Familiarity with a variety systems administrative concepts, practices, and procedures, relying on extensive experience and sound judgment to lead, organize, and oversee a successful platform engineering, and security team to accomplish goals and objectives. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected.
Our benefits are designed to help you move forward in your career, and in areas of your life outside of Verizon. From health and wellness benefits, short term incentives, 401 (k) Savings Plan, stock incentive programs, paid time off, parental leave, adoption assistance and tuition assistance, plus other incentives,we’ve got you covered with our award-winning total rewards package. For part-timers, your coverage will vary as you may be eligible for some of these benefits depending on your individual circumstances.
If you are hired into a Colorado work location, the compensation range for this position is between $112,000 and $208,000 based on a full-time schedule. The salary will vary depending on your location and confirmed job-related skills and experience. This is an incentive based position with the potential to earn more. For part-time roles, your compensation will be adjusted to reflect your hours.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
NYC candidates: Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 for onsite and hybrid NYC roles. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons). Additional information will be provided during the hiring process.