Senior Software Developer (2388)
The Senior Software Developer is responsible for the design and development of large-scale software and systems to support Pearson’s School Assessment business.
The Senior Software Developer’s duties require an understanding of previously written software code to enhance, modify and maintain code from specifications. The Senior Software Developer will be required to design, develop, implement and maintain software solutions in an agile development environment, using technologies/platforms such as Python, JAVA, Perl, J2EE, Cloud (AWS), JSON, Docker, and using NoSQL and SQL databases. The Senior Software Developer will be responsible for analyzing new components and using appropriate system methodologies to configure, setup, develop and test customer requirements.
Specific duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited, to the following:
- Software development and software system design
- Software development planning and time estimates
- Decompose software development components to support creation of work breakdown structures and assist project planning
- Leads and participates in requirements, architecture, and design meetings
- Mentor other developers to make sound technical decisions and build effective engineering practices
- Responsible for development of new software and systems, analyzes current programs and processes, and makes recommendations which yield a more cost-effective solution
- Effectively functions and communicates within a software development team consisting of business analyst, developers, quality assurance and project management members
- Performs all development, unit/integration/performance testing tasks with a high level of quality
- Researches and provides recommendations on technologies and frameworks; conducts feasibility studies
- Prepares, reviews, and maintains effective procedures and documentation
- Applies Agile practices for successful, sustainable delivery of software solutions
- Minimum of a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering or equivalent education/experience required
- 3-5 years of professional software development required
- Experience designing and developing applications on Amazon Web Services required (API Gateway, Lambda, S3, Fargate, ECS)
- Experience designing and developing serverless applications preferred
- Strong Java and/or Python programming skills required
- Experience with relational databases required (e.g PostgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle, Sybase)
- Experience with NoSQL design preferred
- Experience with Tomcat, JBOSS, Spring, XML, JSON and RESTful Web Services preferred
- Knowledge of Unix/Linux required
- Experience with Jenkins and Maven build systems a preferred
- Ability to perform accurate software project estimates
- Strong ability to present ideas and information in group settings with the ability to persuade, negotiate, and facilitate conflict resolution
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with Agile Software Development
- Experience working with distributed teams, including offshore team members
The anticipated starting salary range for Colorado-based individuals expressing interest in this position is $85-95k. This position is eligible to participate in an annual incentive program.
Benefits available to eligible employees can be seen at: https://pearsonbenefitsus.com/
Learning is the most powerful force for change in the world. More than 20,000 Pearson employees deliver our products and services in nearly 200 countries, all working towards a common purpose – to help everyone achieve their potential through learning. We do that by providing high quality, digital content and learning experiences, as well as assessments and qualifications that help people build their skills and grow with the world around them. We are the world’s leading learning company. Learn more at pearsonplc.com.
Pearson believes that wherever learning flourishes, so do people. We are committed to being an anti-racist company in everything we do. We value the power of an inclusive culture and a strong sense of belonging. We promote a culture where differences are embraced, opportunities are accessible, consideration and respect are the norm, and all individuals are supported in reaching their full potential. Through our talent, we believe that diversity, equity, and inclusion make us a more innovative and vibrant place to work. People are at the center, and we are committed to a sustainable environment and workplace where talent can learn, grow, and thrive.
To learn more about Pearson’s commitment to a diverse and inclusive workforce, please click here: http://www.pearson.com/careers/diversity-and-inclusion.html
Pearson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and a member of E-Verify. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. All employment is decided based on qualifications, merit, and business need. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other group protected by law.
Organization: Assessment & Qualifications
Req ID: 2388