Senior Outside Plant Engineer ( 598626-1B )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
The Senior Outside Plant Engineer is responsible for fiber network design and construction of projects for Verizon’s fiber network. You’ll be working on new fiber routes and modification of existing fiber routes, to include relocations, maintenance, and break/fix jobs.
- Review proposals for underground and above ground aerial fiber construction.
- Utilize knowledge of fiber cable sizing, cable counts, cable record management, fiber characteristics, transmission protocols, route diversity, route protection plus front-haul and back-haul concepts.
- Bid fiber projects to vendors, award projects, obtain purchase orders, initiate project designs, manage budgets and secure necessary material.
- Provide engineering guidance to vendors, monitor progress and insure timely completion of projects.
- Approve close out packages and evaluate as-built drawings for quality control. The candidate will develop, evaluate and approve fiber-splicing packages.
- Coordinate with a variety of teams and have direct contact with customers, building owners, and permitting agencies.
- Work in a diverse group of team members, both internal and external, to solve complex problems and implement innovative solutions to meet our customer expectations.
- Perform route analysis to determine scope, budget, and schedules for existing and new OSP projects.
- Submit weekly project status reports to team members and reporting managers.
- Deliver on project installations within the stipulated time.
- Develop aerial and underground fiber route maps.
Where you'll be working...
This is a work-from-home role performed almost exclusively from your home office with occasional in-person meetings and training. In addition there will be weekly on-site visits and will require local travel. This position will need be located out of either VA /MD/DC market.
What we’re looking for...
You have the ability to manage outside plant engineering/construction projects. You enjoy analyzing problems and have the autonomy to select and implement the right solutions. You work independently while being a great team player, leading colleagues and coordinating efforts to ensure best outcomes. You work well in a fast-paced environment. You are comfortable working on very demanding projects. As a strong communicator, you need to build relationships with a diverse range of people and explain complex technical issues in a way that everyone can understand.
You’ll need to have:
- Associate’s degree or two or more years of work experience.
- Three or more years of relevant work experience.
- Experience in Outside Plant Engineering, Construction or Installation.
- A valid driver's license.
- Willingness to travel.
Even better if you have:
- A degree.
- Understands industry standards and local requirements regarding construction and engineering of fiber networks.
- Analytical and problem solving skills with the ability to make network design decisions based on Engineering Guidelines and current field conditions.
- Communications skills possessing the ability to effectively interact with both highly technical and non-technical customers alike with the goal to provide an understanding of our service order process and recommended method of delivery.
- Ability to quickly build relationships with a diverse range of people and explain complex technical issues in a way that everyone can understand.
- Knowledge of CAD and other industry standard software applications used to create engineering designs
- Experience with windows-based programs and applications along with corporate database systems.
- Knowledge with Google Earth, 3GIS, and MS Office.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
NYC candidates: Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 for onsite and hybrid NYC roles. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons). Additional information will be provided during the hiring process.