Senior Data Center Implementation Engineer ( 598960-1E )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
Problems are diverse and generally complex in nature. Diversified duties require an extensive knowledge of a particular field and the ability to determine the appropriate course of action based on complex and competing issues. Incumbent handles non-routine issues by following policy or precedent. Normally receives general instructions on non-routine work assignments. Requires additional instructions and guidance on more complex or new assignments. Decisions are made independently. Assigned multiple projects are generally reviewed after completion. Contact is typically coordinative in nature and involves exchanging detailed information, planning and coordination of events, schedules, etc. May deal with both internal and external contacts. Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge in the job-related functional area and of telecommunications technology.
- Review fiber and copper cable utilization, growth trends, and forecasts to support Layer 1 and determine when a relief job is required.
- Review Power/fuse/breaker utilization, growth trends, and forecasts to support Layer 1 and determine when a relief job is required.
- Review network element chassis and port utilization, growth trends, and forecasts to support Layer 1 and determine when a relief job is required.
- Review utilization of links (trunks and/or NNIs) between network elements, growth trends, and forecast data to determine when a relief job is required.
- Rearrange, augment or remove/reuse capacity and/or network elements.
- Perform detailed Location specific Equipment Engineering.
- Develop all of the specifications required for installation forces to properly install, turn-up, inventory, and configure the equipment, obtaining appropriate management approvals, issuing purchase orders, and ensuring vendor delivery.
- Detail Engineering, Equipment/Hardware/Cable Ordering and delivery, and Installation. Set and track appropriate dates and facilitate communication/coordination between teams and across sites to insure successful, on-time completion.
- Ensure that work meets all applicable engineering, financial, planning, and operational/ NA standards.
- Develop Bill of Material and place orders for network equipment, rack, and hardware requirements. Define cable requirements, create cable running lists, and order all cables.
- Manage, input, and update IFP, Nautilus, FUZE to reflect new builds, adds, and decommissions.
- Ensure the network elements (technical facility, location, bay/shelf, alarm points, etc.) are documented with necessary identifiers Labels.
- Perform site surveys to assist in completing detailed engineering: Engineer floor space, rack space and hardware for all equipment in locations, Engineer placement and cable measurements.
- Provide power/fuse/breaker assignments, Engineer / Partner on Cabinet / equipment cooling and air flow.
- Coordinate/prioritize major site activities to meet installation timelines, optimize maintenance window equipment installation activity, and maintain proper site operations.
- Installation Management responsibility for all projects.
- Manage EFI vendors while on-site / Coordinate activities.
- Ensure timely and cost-effective completion of work to meet customer demands and budget constraints.
- Develop schedules, define resource requirements, resolve roadblocks, and provide status updates for major program changes that are made to network infrastructure.
- Perform the physical construction activities associated with installation/modification; facility infrastructure (rack/shelf space, power circuits, timing sources, etc.); and electronic equipment/cards using internal and/or external resources. Manage / Engineer Initial Device management connectivity.
- Ensure the installed network elements (including fiber management, power/grounding standards, shelf/chassis installation, cards, etc.) meet defined Verizon Engineering guidelines.
- Perform end of job closeout and quality review.
- Partner with other teams to ensure a successful job completion.
Where you’ll be working:
This hybrid role will have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days as set by the manager.
What we’re looking for...
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Four or more years of relevant work experience.
- Willingness to travel throughout the Pacific Northwest, MTN, NoCAL, and GP markets.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- A Bachelor’s degree.
- Experience in Networking Architecture.
- Experience with AC and DC Power Plant, power distribution.
- Experience in equipment space planning and heat load.
- Project Management training and experience in Project Management.
- Understanding of T1/T3 / OC-3 interconnects.
- Understanding of Fiber and Fiber distribution systems.
- Ability to be a self-starter and capability of working independently.
- Demonstrated technical and analytical skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work with others effectively and achieve goals.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated capability to communicate clearly and effectively via written technical proposals and oral communications.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and make sound technical judgments in a demanding environment.
- Provide leadership and guidance to the team.
- Train and evaluate Junior Engineers
- Interface with different teams to coordinate job completion.
- Maintain relationships with Data Performance, Operation and Transport teams, reach out on common goals.
- Lead projects beyond local Edge Region assignment.
If Verizon and this role sound like a fit for you, we encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet every “even better” qualification listed above.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical, religious, or state law recognized reasons).