Senior Optical Engineer ( R-00087313 )
The US Government uses space systems to solve many complex problems to protect our warfighters and gather information on threats to our national interest. The Leidos Innovations Center (LInC) performs space payload systems research and development (R&D) to create innovative one-of-a-kind solutions to these complex Customer needs.
LInC has an opportunity for an Senior Optical Engineer to join our team in San Diego, CA, to work on the research, design, development, and test of optical payload systems for Overhead Persistent Infrared (OPIR) and Space Situational Awareness (SSA) missions. Programs are funded by multiple US Government sponsors, industry, as well as Internal Research and Development (IR&D) efforts. The optical engineer will participate in responses to government issued proposals with respect to optical imaging systems used in the visible and Infrared spectrum. Upon award, efforts include system conceptualization, Optical design, optical performance analysis, payload construction, testing and integration.
These are some of the interesting things you will be doing:
- Candidate should understand basic radiometry requirements, optical performance specification and payload hardware development such that an optical system can be designed using optical modeling programs such as ZEMAX (recommended).
- Candidate should be familiar with optical tolerancing, athermalization evaluation, and lens manufacturing methods and drawing standards. Stray Light control, Structural Thermal Optical Performance (STOP) analysis, and laboratory testing, and evaluation experience is beneficial.
- Knowledge in Infrared lens design is highly useful as well as reflective optical system designs.
To be successful in this job you will need these skills:
- Bachelor’s degree and 12+ years of prior relevant experience or Master’s degree with 10+ years of prior relevant experience. May possess a Doctorate in technical domain.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Secret security clearance.
- InfraRed and Visible lens design using Optical design tools (Zemax preferred).
- Knowledge of how electro-optical systems are designed, specified, developed, manufactured, and tested including Focal Plane Arrays, bandpass filter performance, AR coating and Lyot stop implementation.
- Experience in prototype and production development, including testing and demonstrations.
- Knowledge and experience laboratory testing.
- Working knowledge of MS Office applications, MatLab, and CAD (Solidworks).
- Effective communication, coordination, and customer engagement skills.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, dynamic, and team environment.
You will really impress us if you have these skills and/or interests:
- Stray light performance analysis using FRED, Bandpass and AR coating development, Radiometric modeling, and Lens manufacturing and assembly process knowledge.
- Possess a Secret security clearance or higher.
LInCPay Range:Pay Range $113,100.00 - $174,000.00 - $234,900.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.