Senior Engineer - SRE ( 603911-1D )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
In this role, you will lead a team that develops the SRE automation framework and practice all tenets of SRE, vision and technical leadership to enable the execution of best in class operations practices that would improve Reliability of applications.
The incumbent should be a strong Technical lead to help execute on our vision for Site Reliability Engineering (SRE), determining how each system relates to each other and using a breadth of tools, build automation to improve Reliability for customers. Practices, such as limiting time spent on operations, and proactive identification of potential automation opportunities, factor into the iterative improvement key to both product quality and interesting, dynamic day-to-day work.
- Implement SRE automation, develop automation across the stack, and optimize operations hours by reducing manual operations
- Eliminate toil by automation across all the layers – infrastructure provisioning, configuration management, deployment, testing, and operation
- Work on retooling our infrastructure to provide an agile, cloud based foundation that provides common infrastructure management and automation framework
- Interface directly with senior staff members within the organization to discuss and assess compliance with IT policies, standards and procedures, suggest opportunities for improvement, and report on the status of specific. Work with development teams throughout the software life cycle ensuring sustainable software releases
- Practice sustainable incident response and blameless postmortems
- Lead team to build a new or modify existing automation framework for IT operations
- Apply engineering mindset and development skills to IT operations to improve the overall observability of the applications and infrastructure and develop automation framework such way that it reduces manual efforts
- Working with application teams managing activities related to CPI-810 and SSDLC compliance, Vulnerability scanning, Threat Modeling
- Building relationships with program leads, developer, operations and CISO teams to understand how to develop plans that effectively manage security risks
Where you'll be working...
This hybrid role will have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days as set by the manager.
What we’re looking for...
You'll need to have:
- Bachelor's degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Four or more years of relevant work experience.
- Experience with AWS cloud environments.
- Experience insystems architecture technologies.
Even better if you have:
- Experience in applications development, infrastructure, or database architectures. Experience in SRE Automation lead with experience on distributed systems design and integration architectures of business applications using micro services, containers, and cloud
- Experience with GIT, Jenkins and Ansible
- Automation experience and ability to code or script at an advance level
- Ability to build and drive adoption for SRE automation for IT operations and deployments
- Understanding of SRE practices and principles to build resilient systems and to provide business continuity
- Experience with software development, software delivery lifecycle, application modernization, DevOps, Service/Infrastructure as Service and Operations
- Problem solving and collaboration skills
- Experience in vendor management, IT Security and compliance, operations and network services, and application development, Cloud & Container platform Strategies, Design, Architecture and Migration.
- Expertise in delivering high-value solutions in dynamic and ambiguous environments
- Experience leading medium-to-large projects by bringing together the right perspectives, identifying roadblocks, and integrating feedback from clients and team members, serving as both a mentor and advocate for your team.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills and ability to connect at all levels of the business leadership team
- Able to perform analytics on previous incidents and usage patterns to better predict issues and take proactive actions, leading and participating in performance tests identify bottlenecks, opportunities for optimization, and capacity demands for Iconic phone launches
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
NYC candidates: Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 for onsite and hybrid NYC roles. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons). Additional information will be provided during the hiring process.