Senior Mechanical Engineer
DescriptionJob Description:The Leidos Civil Group is seeking a dynamic Senior Mechanical Engineer to join the National Airspace System Integration Support Contract (NISC IV) team.
This is potentially a remote position.
Residence in the Eastern Service Area (Maine to Kentucky to Florida) required.
Part time travel (25%).
In this Senior Mechanical Engineer role you will support the Federal Aviation Administration's (FAA) Eastern Service Area (ESA) FAA Terminal Engineering Center in Jamaica, NY in designing, cost estimating, scheduling, engineering, coordination, contracting, installation oversite, inspection, and acceptance of mechanical systems/services as part of the Eastern Service Area (ESA) implementation of a wide variety of NAS Terminal programs and projects, which include HVAC, HVAC controls, chillers, boiler, water distribution, ductwork, plumbing, and fire protection systems. The projects will range over the geographic scope of the ESA and ensure accuracy of design, products, and timeliness of project completion.
Senior Mechanical Engineer Primary Responsibilities:
- Perform HVAC, HVAC controls, chillers, boiler, water distribution, ductwork, plumbing, and fire protection systems design for FAA Terminal facilities (Air Traffic Control Tower, Terminal Radar Approach Control facilities, etc).
- Perform on-site surveys to develop “to-scale” designs and detailed reports,
- Generate sketches showing relation of proposed installation in existing or new facilities with exact specifications and dimensions.
- Participate in construction inspections and final inspections
- Confer with engineering staff and other personnel to identify and resolve problems with the design or implementation.
- Coordinate design components with a multi-disciplinary as required for site-specific modifications and new construction.
- Prepare Autocad construction drawings and prepare site-specific specifications and contract documents and independent cost estimates.
- Perform project management related tasks and communication (including safety plans, sequence of work, cutover plans).
- Generate and coordinate the Integrated Risk Management Checklists (IRMC), communication plans, project risk register, to meet Operational Risk Management (ORM) requirements.
- Coordinate and complete Work Permits required for potential impact to lead and asbestos that may be encountered during construction.
- Participate in meetings inclusive of the pre-construction meeting and on-site construction meetings with stakeholders to coordinate with other ongoing construction and projects.
- Plan, schedule, and coordinate construction project activities to meet milestones and deadlines; working directly with stakeholders and contractors.
- Manage and participate in on-site cutovers, testing and restoration of facilities.
- Prepare, maintain, and provide periodic updates of project to team, management, and stakeholders.
- Manage multiple projects towards successful on-time completion.
- Review contractor design and construction submittals.
- Perform internal design reviews of FAA designed Terminal Engineering projects.
- Track and reconcile and coordinate closure of JAI project exceptions.
- Review project deliverables and provide verbal and written communication to the findings.
- Provide and coordinate timely response for project RFIs (Requests for Information) and project related submittals.
- Monitor progress of projects and stakeholder needs
- Work independently to evaluate, select and apply standard engineering techniques and procedures, using judgement in making adaptations and modifications to Engineering designs
Senior Mechanical Engineer Basic Qualifications:
- Must have a Mechanical Engineering Degree from an accredited College/University
- At least 8 years of experience with mechanical systems design including HVAC and plumbing systems with commercial, industrial and/or government facilities
- Must be a Registered Professional Engineer in good standings in the United States
- Must have current and relevant knowledge of building and energy codes in order to be able to perform heating and cooling load calculations, ductwork sizing and layout, piping calculations and distribution, sections/elevations, and equipment sizing and selection.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft applications MS Word, Excel, Power Point, and Engineering Scheduling tools and applications, and be able to use the Internet as a gathering and communicating tool.
- Proficiency with AUTOCAD / MICROSTATION.
- Ability to effectively communicate in written and verbal form in person or virtual (via Teams or Zoom)
- Ability to accomplish clear and concise general and technical writing and tactfully coordinate with a variety of project stake holders, peers and management levels.
- Ability to maintain an electronic project folder (as required) related to site preparation and equipment installation problems.
- Ability to provide technical assistance and recommendations regarding the closure of construction related punch-list items.
- Ability to conduct efficient, organized data gathering, and data analysis.
- Ability to develop project plans, establish project schedules, project estimates.
- Ability to provide organized documentation.
- Ability to work independently in a large Engineering Organization
- Basic knowledge of multiple disciplines regarding their general requirements for typical standard types of projects.
- Ability to discuss project related items with stakeholders, contractors and code related Authorities Having Jurisdiction (AHJ)
- Ability to work in a fast-paced team environment.
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.