Senior Network Operations Engineer
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
Our wireline networks are the backbone of the services we provide and transport huge amounts of data every day. Customers expect fast and reliable service and that’s where you come in. The work you’ll be doing will help predict and prevent customer impacting events and improve network performance and most importantly our customer’s experiences.
- Developing analytics using multiple data sources to identify issues and further optimize the networks.
- Analyzing data and key performance indicators (KPIs) for strategic wireline networks to predict and prevent customer impacting events.
- Creating applications used by NOCs and Tier 1 teams to alert network performance issues by validating and testing complex analytic formulas.
- Monitoring network performance and discovering and reporting performance issues.
- Providing Tier 2 operational support for the PIP, SES, CPA and former-XO networks.
- Working as on-call support as required as part of a rotation.
- Working with Tier 1 Operations to advance their knowledge of the various networks, designs, troubleshooting, etc.
- Engaging in upgrades, patches and catastrophic outages, including as part of on-call duties.
Where you’ll be working...
In this remote role, you'll work from home with occasional in-person trainings and meetings.
What we’re looking for...
The science of analytics with an eye towards testing, reliability, predictability and improving performance is attractive to you. Working independently to resolve complex problems which impact customers is an area that you find enjoyable. You’re great at troubleshooting and solving problems that require the integration of lots of data.
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Four or more years of relevant work experience.
- Willingness to work on-call schedule (shifts) including nights, weekends, and holidays based on the needs of the business.
- Experience with network protocols and high speed data network architectures and elements.
- Willingness to travel.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- A degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science or Information Systems Management.
- Cisco CCNA SP or equal certification.
- Experience in working with Vendors and Tier 1 Operations.
- Experience working with Juniper JNCIA-Junos or equivalent experience.
- Experience with technical review of methods of procedures and executing network changes using (MOPs).
- Knowledge of IPv4, IPv6, QoS, Multicast, MPLS, IP Routing Protocols like ISIS, OSPF, BGP, L3VPN, L2VPN, Traffic Engineering using BGP and MPLS-TE.
- Knowledge of modern router architecture including interworking of control plane and forwarding plane, switch fabric, egress queuing.
- Experience with Splunk for Proactive monitoring and Analysis using Next Generation telemetry, logging, reporting, dash board development, and continuous delivery technologies.
- Scripting skills with Python, Perl and API experience.
- Experience with operating systems including Windows Server, Linux RedHat, Suse Linux and SunOS.
If Verizon and this role sound like a fit for you, we encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet every “even better” qualification listed above.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
NYC candidates: Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 for onsite and hybrid NYC roles. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons). Additional information will be provided during the hiring process.