Senior Distribution Engineer
We are in search of Distribution Engineers for electric utility design engineering to join our diverse and fast-paced organization. This position can be largely REMOTE but candidates local to the Northeastern United States are preferred, as this role is based out of the greater Boston area.
Project work will require performing engineering calculations that may include: structural analysis of poles, guying, cable pulling, electric demand, transformer sizing, voltage drop and flicker, and coordination of protective devices. Assignments may also include: preparing forestry trimming requests, facilitating permit and Right-of-Way acquisition, development of a BOM, estimating costs, and customer advocacy such as acquiring easements. Work assignments may include travelling by motor vehicle to various project locations located throughout the area to conduct field investigations. Some occasional time in our Framingham, MA office will be a part of this role.
The successful candidate will have an interest in developing construction work packages for the electric distribution system using various software systems and construction standards. Distribution systems may be in an OH, UG, or URD environment. Work packages will be developed using Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Computer Aided Design (CAD) tools, Work Management Systems (WMS), and other client systems.
- 10%-30% Field Inspections
- 60%-80% Engineering and development of design packages for construction crews
- 10% Performing administrative tasks, planning, and/or customer follow-up
Successful candidates can look forward to a fast paced, diverse work environment & flexible work hours/work arrangements as well as managers who will encourage career development and growth including:
- Engineer in Training Certificate (EIT)
- Professional Engineer License (PE)
- Project Management Professional (PMP)
- Leadership training
- Management opportunities
- In this role, you can also expect to gain
- NESC expertise
- Structural Pole Modeling
- Electrical Power Calculations
- GIS design training
- Project management
Required Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in an Engineering Discipline (Electrical, Mechanical, Civil, or Industrial) with with 4-8+ yearsof either working directly with an electric utility or an electric utility consulting company, performing distribution design engineering.
- Experience with the National Electric Safety Code (NESC) and client construction standards
- Experience or knowledge of BOUD, GE Smallworld or other similar GIS software
- Experience or knowledge of CAD tools or similar design tools
- Must be comfortable in both a field and office setting
- Must be able to lift 20 pounds
- Must be able to walk up to 2 miles on unpaved surfaces
- Candidate must provide their own reliable transportation.
Nice to haves
- Experience with: reconductoring projects, voltage conversion projects, distribution automation projects, new business projects
- Fundamentals of Engineer certification or PE
- Strong communication skills, written and interpersonal communications skills
- Experience with software such as: PoleForeman, SAP, Microstation
- Collaborative and inclusive of individuals of diverse backgrounds and geographic locations
- Positive attitude
- Ability to work with limited supervision
- Ability to work effectively in teams.
- Professional dress and demeanor
Are you ready to make an impact? Begin your journey of a flourishing and meaningful career; share your resume with us today!Pay Range:Pay Range $65,000.00 - $100,000.00 - $135,000.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.