Senior Network Engineer
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
Verizon is in the process of modernizing our core networks to enable new, ground-breaking products and technologies. This new 'Intelligent Edge Network' leverages virtualization and software defined networking and will transform how we provide products and service, and maintain our position as the industry leader. Verizon is seeking motivated and driven Engineering professionals to support the Intelligent Edge network. As a Senior Network Engineer, you will join the team responsible for the Northeast and Great Lakes markets. You will support Verizon’s strategic technology goals, including the ongoing migration of core elements to a VXLAN and or the new Segment Routed network infrastructure. The on-boarding of internal VCP tenants to the network as well as the integration of partner CSPs for the MEC project. You will collaborate with team members to meet team-based goals.
- Working for one or more COINs, and to work closely with the Capacity Planning, Design and Operations teams to implement our strategic technology goals and transition to the new platform.
- Creating environments fostering teamwork and cooperation with all stakeholders, including territories, edge, design, and Maintenance Engineering.
- Leading the team in a visible, high-integrity manner.
- Functioning related to Network Engineering IP Edge.
- Engineering IP Layer 1-3 for Edge Networks.
- Overseeing network builds from procurement to “In Service”.
- Interacting with design and architecture teams developing future networks.
- Developing network configurations from design models and templates.
- Working with peer teams to ensure new networks are built and migrated to meet KPI’s.
- Engineering and deploying directional networks for Intelligent Edge (e.g., SAP ENSE Fabric, Access ENSE Fabric, ISP, NNI, and Core connectivity).
- Building networks for interconnection to Verizon platforms for growth, capacity, and expansion.
- Working with underlay and overlay controllers for network creation, network modelling, and network deployments.
- Leveraging plugins for network deployments across multiple virtualized OS environments.
- Engineering network solutions with a strong interaction with PNF and VNF applications teams.
Where you'll be working...
This hybrid role will have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days as set by the manager.
What we’re looking for...
You'll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Four or more years of relevant work experience.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- A degree.
- Experience in MPLS Layer 2 and Layer 3 hands-on experience.
- Experience in virtualization of networks/servers.
- Experience in data networking and telecommunications, including working knowledge of TCP/IP (IPv4 and IPv6).
- Four or more years of experience in configuring routers, switches related network equipment, preferably via the following technologies: Cisco Carrier Routing Systems (CRS), Nexus, NCS Nokia SR platforms. Operating Systems: IOS, XR-IOS, NX-OS, JunOS.
- Understanding of networking-specific technologies: IPV6, L2VPN, L3VPN, OSPFv3, MPBGP, VXLAN, QOS/Traffic Engineering, MPLS (LDP & TDP), inter-AS MPLS, and MVPN.
- Experience in managing and being held accountable for the success or projects.
- Experience in Pronghorn or Itential automation tools.
- Knowledge of Network Engineering IP Edge Engineering functions.
- CCNA or other networking certifications.
- Understanding of end-to-end call flows for deploying network services.
- Knowledge of or prior experience with cloud and scripting experience Linux, Openstack, Python, automation, virtualization.
If Verizon and this role sound like a fit for you, we encourage you to apply even if you don't meet every "even better" qualification listed above.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.