Senior Data Engineer - Remote
Optum is a global organization that delivers care, aided by technology to help millions of people live healthier lives. The work you do with our team will directly improve health outcomes by connecting people with the care, pharmacy benefits, data and resources they need to feel their best. Come make an impact on the communities we serve as we help advance health equity on a global scale. Here, you will find talented peers, comprehensive benefits, a culture guided by diversity and inclusion, career growth opportunities and your life's best work.(sm)
Clinical Performance (CP) is charged with effectively implementing, monitoring, and executing on clinical documentation, quality, and affordability programs that promote patient health while improving the provider practice experience with a special focus on Medicare Risk Adjustment. Clinical Performance processes on a national level by providing support in all markets served by OptumCare Delivery.
The Senior Data Engineer will be accountable for building and maintaining software applications that are focused on bringing the healthcare data together for Optum Care Submission Services. Positions in this function are predominantly involved in developing business solutions by creating new and modifying existing software applications. Primary contributor in designing, coding, testing, debugging, documenting, and supporting all types of applications consistent with established specifications and business requirements to deliver business value.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to work remotely* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Performing all phases of software engineering including requirements analysis, application design, and code development & testing
- Designing and implementing product features in collaboration with business and IT stakeholders
- Working very closely with Architecture group and driving technical solutions
- Be innovative in solution design and development to meet the needs of the business
- Address the performance issues and design the solutions to meet low latency needs
- Lead technology decisions, drive product implementation and delivery
- Provide alternate design solutions along with project estimates
- Drive the team and collaborate to meet project timelines
- Develop and Manage application using Public & Private Cloud infrastructure
- Develop Microservices, leveraging container-based architecture using Kubernetes/EKS and Docker
- Contribute to the architecture of the system, take responsibility for the quality and stability of the product by getting hands-on with code and design reviews, debugging complex issues, among other things
- Build processes supporting data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency, and workload management
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Statistics, Operations Research, Applied Mathematics, Computer Science, Economics, or equivalent experience
- 5+ years relational DB Experience, including TSQL, complex queries, stored procedures, Index creation, and performance tuning
- Experience with administrative claims data, EHR/EMR data, or complex relational health care databases
- Proficiency in executing multi-step data management and analysis tasks including creating data dictionaries and specification documents from research protocols
- Solid database skills with One or more DB technologies (SQL Server, Postgres, MongoDB, Casandra, Graph DB etc.)
- A successful history of manipulating, processing, and extracting value from large disconnected datasets
- Experience with big data tools: Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, etc.
- Experience with data pipeline and workflow management tools: Rundeck, Azkaban, Luigi, Airflow, etc.
- Experience with object-oriented/object function scripting languages: Python, Java, C++, Scala, etc.
- Experience with stream-processing systems: Storm, Spark-Streaming, etc.
- Flask, and/or Django experience
- Health care industry experience
- Ability to work in a fast-paced team-oriented environment
- Ability to manage competing priorities
- Solid organizational skills and attention to detail
- Solid problem solving, interviewing and fact-finding skills
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment
Careers with Optum. Our objective is to make health care simpler and more effective for everyone. With our hands at work across all aspects of health, you can play a role in creating a healthier world, one insight, one connection and one person at a time. We bring together some of the greatest minds and ideas to take health care to its fullest potential, promoting health equity and accessibility. Work with diverse, engaged and high-performing teams to help solve important challenges.
Colorado, Connecticut, Nevada, or New York City Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $82,100 to $146,900. The salary range for Connecticut/Nevada/New York City residents is $90,500 to $161,600. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
*All employees working remotely will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone–of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location and income–deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes — an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.