Senior Data Profiling Engineer
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
Verizon is currently seeking a highly motivated candidate with a background in Data Governance to join the Data Governance & Architecture team within AI&D. In this exciting position, you will play an integral role in driving Verizon Forward with cataloging and governing our vast data sets. You will work directly with business and technical data stewards, data owners and subject matter experts to catalog data artifacts, business artifacts and governance artifacts with the end goal to enable governance over their data. In this position, you will be granted the opportunity to learn new technologies for data catalog governance working with the IBM Cloud Pak and Google Cloud service.
- Supporting different organizations across Verizon with onboarding their applications and datasets to the Verizon Data Catalog ecosystem.
- Supporting Global Clearance and Privacy Compliance programs through cataloging activities including: connection setup, application scans and profiling, data term assignments & classification, and publication/review with data SME’s and leadership.
- Performing extensive classification of application metadata through the use of AI tools and supporting classification processes.
- Pursuingoperational excellence for profiling/classification work and provide best in class service across the team.
- Partnering with internal resources to improve onboarding and catalog management processes through functional or technical changes.
- Performing functional testing for Verizon Data Catalog and Marketplace upgrades, new capabilities and/or process improvements.
- Analyzing processes and catalog data/metadata artifacts to support: process engineering and improvements, issue analysis and resolution, and other operational needs.
- Directly engagingwith Data Owners and Stewards to advocate for governance, train them on catalog and supporting tools, and support classification reviews and certification.
- Enforcing Data Controls and Standards and support controls testing and improvements.
- Promoting usage and adoption of the data governance standards & tools.
- Supporting design of future state concept of operations through the analysis of business process models and data flow diagrams.
- Supporting leaders and subject matter experts within the business to document their data assets and support solutions for their governance needs.
- Executing controls and managingprocesses for Data Catalog oversight and management.
This role is eligible to be considered for the Department of Defense SkillBridge Program.
Where you’ll be working…
In this hybrid role, you'll have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days set by your manager.
What we’re looking for...
When there are challenges, people look to you for solutions. You have an ability to assess the current state, anticipate situations, and respond swiftly to achieve winning outcomes. You are a trusted leader who adapts well in a changing environment. You enjoy getting into the details while maintaining focus on the big picture. You appreciate that people have diverse styles and different needs. You feel that the best agreements deliver wins for all involved.
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Four or more years of relevant work experience.
- Experience in various data management capabilities - data catalog, data governance rule definition, data protection, data provisioning, data sharing, data retention, data stewardship.
- Willingness to travel up to approximately 25% of the time.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science.
- Two or more years of experience in Data Governance, Data Management, Business Analysis; Risk Management; Business Process Improvement; Vendor Management.
- At least one year of experience with Governance Catalogs (ICP4D WKC, Collibra, Axon, Alation).
- At least one year of experience in business analysis.
- At least two years of experience with database connectivity.
- Strong verbal & written communication, problem solving, impact presentation, strategic planning, analytical & critical thinking; stakeholder management.
- Experience writing regular expression to identify patterns in data.
- Knowledge of analytical tools (SQL, Google Cloud Product).
- Technical knowledge: Teradata SQL; IBM WKC; Google Cloud Platform.
- Knowledge in the data privacy regulatory landscape: GDPR/ CPRA.
- Knowledge of Cloud Data Management Controls (EDM Council) Framework, Data Catalog best practices, Metadata management.
- Knowledge of the value of effective governance processes and can support cross-functional collaboration to define, document and launch effective processes and controls.
If Verizon and this role sound like a fit for you, we encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet every “even better” qualification listed above.
Diversity and Inclusion at Verizon
At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.