Senior Network Engineer
Looking for an exciting new step in your IT career?
1901 Group (A Leidos Company) has an exciting Sr. Network Engineer opportunity working out of our customer site in Washington, D.C.
We are in search of a Sr. Network Engineer to join our team at the Federal Trade Commission located in Washington, D.C. In this role you will serve as a technical leader who is responsible for organizing and leading network tasks and projects. Additionally, we need someone who is a strong communicator, who is able to work effectively with customers, the Service Desk, other vendor teams, and peer team members.
• Develops, documents, and presents complex network architectures to support customer requirements as a primary responsibility
• Manage the customer’s Wide Area Network (WAN), Local Area Networks (LAN), VoIP/VTC, firewalls and load balancers.
• Uses deep technical knowledge to develop solutions to address technical problems and issues and to improve the network environment
• Plans, designs, and evaluates network solutions and components
• Interact with carrier network, voice and data providers as required to troubleshoot issues, coordinate changes, develop strategic improvements, and evaluate/recommend new technologies
• Support strategic improvements to the network environment including the migration of components and services to the cloud.
• Coach and review work of more junior network team members
• Perform day-to-day functions as well as trouble-shoot issues from identification to resolution including root cause and remediation.
• Support, monitor and upgrade network equipment
• Organize and lead network tasks and projects.
• Utilize the customer’s ServiceNow system to manage work activities and to log and track all work performed.
• Ensure achievement of relevant program Service Level Agreements (SLAs).
• Attend technical and recurring status meetings as required.
• Ensure all changes are well documented with test plans, architecture and design documentation, roll-back plans, and any other documentation required by the change process.
• Develop written work products including technical analyses, trade studies, and periodic reports.
• Ensure a well-maintained repository of network documentation.
• Interact on a daily basis with customer Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) to discuss the state of the network environment as well as tactical and strategic improvements.
• Perform moves, adds, changes and deletes (MACD) on network production equipment.
• Monitor network activity utilizing the customer’s Network Monitoring System.
• Perform patching and maintenance of all network switches, routers, firewalls and network monitoring tools.
• Ensure an accurate inventory of the network environment within the ServiceNow system. Support periodic inventory requirements via physical verification of assets.
• Support incident, change and problem tickets as assigned
• Perform physical cable and plant management activities including running and tracing cables and wires.
• Perform trade studies, identify new or replacement components, and develop specifications for procurement of new or upgraded equipment.
• Support FTC’s procurement process, obtaining and providing quotes for equipment and services as required.
• Perform work as required during maintenance windows, which will typically be after-hours.
• Serve as a member of the on-call incident management team, rotated amongst team members weekly.
• You must be able to obtain and maintain a Public Trust security clearance prior to start
• 6+ years of experience in a Network Engineering role or equivalent technical and leadership experience
• A Bachelor’s degree in an Information Technology related field
• Experience supporting and upgrading vendor appliances and components such as
o ZScaler ZIA and ZPA
o Cisco Network, VoIP, and VTC
o Palo Alto
o Aruba Wireless
o Network monitoring tools including SolarWinds and ScienceLogic SL1
o F5 Load Balancers
• Familiarity with process frameworks such as the ITIL framework
• A strong communicator with excellent verbal and written skills
• Ability to work onsite at our customer’s primary location in Washington, D.C.
• Work overtime as required
• Perform physical work activities including standing, walking, bending, squatting, crawling (e.g., while running/tracing network cables) and lifting up to 50 lbs.
• Willing to travel if required in support of job responsibilities.
Who Are We?
1901 Group (A Leidos Company) prides itself on looking ahead of our competitors for the next wave of IT trends. We provide our employees with training and development opportunities, preparing them for upcoming technical challenges.
With primary office locations in Blacksburg and Reston, VA, our teams support customers from across the United States. Our innovative IT as-a Service delivery model is supported by industry certifications that ensure quality and efficient IT solutions.
We are transforming the delivery of IT services through the use of enterprise managed services that leverage the cloud to securely monitor, manage, and optimize complex IT environments.
The history of automation is what inspired the name of our company. 1901 was the year that another disruptive technology changed the world: the assembly line. Leveraging skills and materials in an efficient manner within a repeatable process that quadrupled output applies to IT services today.