Senior SRE Engineer ( 584859-1F )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
As a member of the SRE team, you will be responsible for the design and development of medium to highly complex systems. This includes the design and implementation of infrastructure from specifications, configuration and deployment of applications, connecting to back-end resources, and advanced troubleshooting of moderately complex software applications. Monitors systems capacity and performance, plans and executes disaster recovery procedures, and provides Tier 2 technical support.
You will also help execute on our vision for Site Reliability Engineering (SRE), determining how each system relates to each other and using a breadth of tools, build auto healing solutions to improve Reliability for customers. Practices, such as limiting time spent on operations, and proactive identification of potential outages, factor into the iterative improvement key to both product quality and interesting, dynamic day-to-day work.
- Help execute on our vision for Site Reliability Engineering (SRE), experience in supporting complex business applications in a large enterprise environment using SRE principles, practices and tools.
- Automate day-to-day functions such as deployment, rollbacks, build of code and provisioning infrastructure, failovers etc.
- Work with cross-functional teams on Cloud migration, Onboarding applications on AWS EKS platform, environment builds, deployment automation, and monitoring.
- Build AI/ML based monitoring solutions and self-healing techniques to recover applications from failures quickly.
- Guide development teams on best practices to containerize applications.
- Open problem tickets with vendor if needed to resolve the issues.
- Perform proactive analysis and monitoring to prevent problems from occurring.
- Provide high level written communications to upper management regarding production issues.
What we’re looking for...
We are looking for an experienced Site Reliability Engineer for our SRE team. Our team is undergoing a major transformation focused on rapidly evolving our business towards a customer-centric, digital-first future.
Our organization is uniquely positioned to impact the end-to-end customer journey, and we are looking for candidates who are laser-focused on disrupting the status quo and delivering seamless, meaningful experiences to millions of Consumers every day. We are seeking strategic thinkers and highly motivated risk-takers who are comfortable innovating around our customer's needs. In this position, you will manage infrastructure projects and processes.
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Four or more years of relevant work experience.
- Three or more years of Site Reliability engineering experience.
- Experience with AWS cloud environments, with working knowledge of NLB/ALB, S3, EC2, Autoscaling, EKS, Lambda with Certification in relevant areas.
- Three or more years of experience working on middle technologies like Weblogic, Tomcat, IBM MQ/Kafka/ RabbitMQ, Springboot, REDIS, Elasticsearch etc.
Even better if you have:
- Five or more years of experience with all phases of the Software Development Lifecycle, including system analysis, design, coding, testing, debugging and documentation.
- Experience with designing and implementing CI/CD DevOps solutions using Jenkins pipelines using Python, Git, Shell, YAML, Kubernetes and Docker.
- Experience in scripting - Ansible, CloudFormation, Jython and UNIX shell scripting.
- Configuration Management experience with Chef, Puppet, Ansible or Python.
- Experience with container and orchestration technologies such as Docker and Kubernetes.
- Working knowledge of APM tools like CA Wily, New Relic, or Datadog.
- Knowledge on L2/L3 protocols, IPv4/IPv6 and TCP/IP stack.
- Experience with APIGEE Proxy or Amazon API Gateway configurations and troubleshooting.
- Kubernetes CKA Certification.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons).