Senior Data Engineer ( 590053-1D )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
The Senior Data Engineerwill help oversee the Operations Center of Excellence (CoE) across platform Operations, Data Operations and Model Operations within the Engineering and Industrialization organization. You should have the experience in data engineering technologies: Hadoop, Teradata and Google Cloud platforms and will collaborate with AI&D, GTS and business partners to create visibility into the daily operational issues, streamline process gaps and identify automation opportunities, developing and discussing potential solutions.
- Interact with business users, analyze their operational issues and collaborate with internal AI&D teams: Platform Ops, Data Ops & model ops to timely resolve the issues.
- Collaborate with business, GTS and AID to define quality requirements and SLAs.
- Work closely with end/business users, data engineering teams, solution architects, data platform teams to design best in class solutions and drive joint priorities to minimize operational issues.
- Develop best-in-class monitoring frameworks and dashboards to track operational issues across Platform ops, Data Ops and ML ops.
- Establish and enforce processes to Monitor, Alert and Report on any performance/experience anomalies that could impact systems and customer information and business operations.
- Triage, coordinate and resolve all operational issues in a timely manner and develop automated solutions to proactively identify and resolve operational issues.
- Establish the key performance indicators (KPIs) for monitoring performance and governance.
- Coordinate with GTS application owners to enhance systems to minimize data quality issues. Ensure AI&D data assets are trusted, available and ready to use by the consumers.
- Collaborate with internal AI&D development teams to implement additional monitoring controls to minimize operations issues.
Where you'll be working:
In this hybrid role, you'll have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days set by your manager.
What we’re looking for...
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Four or more years of relevant work experience.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- Three or more years of demonstrated experience working in Hadoop, Teradata and Cloud ecosystem leveraging Unix, HDFS, Nifi,, Hive, Data Proc and Big Query and leveraging ML tools like Domino Data lab and Data Robot.
- Three or more years of proven experience in collaborating with data engineers, architects, data scientists and enterprise platform team in designing and deploying data products and ML models in production.
- Experience with data security, data governance and data cataloging requirements.
- Knowledge of GCP or other cloud technologies
- Track record of working in complex, large scale data projects and data products.
- Capability to be a strategic thinker with ability to apply business mindset to data issues and initiatives.
- Ability to thrive in ambiguity and define the path forward.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons).