Principal Software Engineer ( 592696-1B )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
Verizon is serious about innovation. About being the first and being the best. We are building a future using technologies like 5G, Mobile Edge Computing and Artificial Intelligence that are allowing us to create products that were previously impossible. We’re building tomorrow with the best of today.
As a part of Verizon’s Corporate Strategy & New Business Incubation organization, Energy is an entrepreneurial team tasked with building the smart energy ecosystem of the future bringing together the power of Verizon’s network, to drive system orchestration, data processing, and energy software systems.
As a member of the Energy development team, you’ll focus on building a software platform that enables Verizon to transform Energy technology to meet the needs of tomorrow. You will solve deep technical problems and build innovative solutions in a fast-paced environment working with smart and passionate team members. Your responsibilities will include owning the overarching solution, working closely with software engineering teams to bridge key technical relationships, and driving projects towards success. You will have a tremendous amount of individual responsibility and influence over the direction our product builds. As a Principal Software Engineer you’ll be a technical leader, establish technical standards and drive engineering practices. You will need to be independent, self-driven, self-organizing and hungry for learning. You will also be evaluating third party partner integration capabilities and provide feedback on product development estimations and requirements
- Invent novel approaches and figure out what to do when ready-made processes or techniques are inadequate.
- Find patterns between disparate, seemingly unrelated sources anticipating innovative ways to build and position new business ideas.
- Adeptly layer together experimentation with other research, testing, and metrics to reveal strengths and flaws in the current strategy and devise a clear path forward.
- Serve as a technical lead and hands on builder of our new product initiatives.
- Ensure the quality of architecture and design of systems.
- Functionally decompose complex problems into simple, straight-forward solutions.
- Fully and completely understand system interdependencies and limitations.
- Effectively research and benchmark technology against other competing systems in the industry.
- Contribute intellectual property through patents.
- Learn from, collaborate with, and mentor team members.
- Assist in the career development of others, actively mentoring individuals and the community on advanced technical issues and helping managers guide the career growth of their team members.
- Exert technical influence over teams, increasing their productivity and effectiveness by sharing your deep knowledge and experience.
Where you’ll be working:
This hybrid role will have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days as set by the manager.
What we’re looking for...
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Eight or more years of software engineering experience, including Python, Java, C++ and/or related languages, with preference for strongly-typed languages.
- Experience in networking, multi-threaded applications, inter-process communication, and complex software development.
- Experience in building high-performance, highly-available and scalable distributed systems (e.g., caching, messaging, asynchronicity, ETL).
- Experience leading teams to deliver software leveraging a strong relationship with Product in an agile environment.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- Master's degree.
- Significant experience designing, building and managing Internet-scale APIs.
- Familiarity with multi-site orchestration and edge system/device operation.
- Significant experience with Docker and Kubernetes.
- Experience with edge computing paradigms.
- Significant experience with AI, ML, and CV technologies, tools, and techniques.
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative Agile team.
- Demonstrated aptitude and desire to quickly learn new technologies and skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to embrace change and work in a fast paced, iterative environment.
Verizon will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Our benefits are designed to help you move forward in your career, and in areas of your life outside of Verizon. From health and wellness benefits, short term incentives, 401 (k) Savings Plan, stock incentive programs, paid time off, parental leave, adoption assistance and tuition assistance, plus other incentives,we’ve got you covered with our award-winning total rewards package. For part-timers, your coverage will vary as you may be eligible for some of these benefits depending on your individual circumstances.
If you are hired into a Colorado work location, the compensation range for this position is between $129,000 and $240,000 based on a full-time schedule. The salary will vary depending on your location and confirmed job-related skills and experience. This is an incentive based position with the potential to earn more. For part-time roles, your compensation will be adjusted to reflect your hours.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
NYC candidates: Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 for onsite and hybrid NYC roles. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons). Additional information will be provided during the hiring process.