SDN Java Software Engineer ( 601638-1D )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
The SDN Planning group under Verizon Network Technology and Planning organization is looking for a self-motivated and innovative thinking engineer in support of Verizon SDN architecture and technology development and deployment. As a senior level member of technical staff you will be interacting with software engineers, network/system operations staff, network/system architects and vendor partners to provide SDN technology evolution strategies and solutions to keep our service relevance in the market place in the fast moving and quickly evolving networking industry. Proactive technology research, industry trend analysis and developing next generation network architecture using modern networking technology (e.g. Software Defined Networking) and providing production deployable solutions are key functions of the team.
- Recommend software design, product integration strategies, networking platforms and application infrastructure required to successfully implement a complete solution using best practices.
- Design, develop, debug the software and improve the performance of existing software.
- Recommend new technology validation and prototyping.
- Software Defined Networking (SDN) ecosystem development and vendor management.
- Open API (REST/RESTCONF/NETCONF) and data modeling (YANG) verification and development.
- Linux (KVM, OpenStack, RHEL, CentOS, Ubuntu) application deployment and Linux networking lab infrastructure support.
- Test automation and regression test suits design and development.
Where you'll be working...
In this hybrid role, you will have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days set by your manager.
What we’re looking for...
You'll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Experience in development and problem-solving in Java, Python or GO at a system level.
- Willingness to travel up to approximately 25%.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science/Computer Engineering or any other equivalent field.
- Eight or more years of hands on software development, unit testing and integration experience testing, Code Reviews and developing regression test plans to harden the software.
- Expertise and domain knowledge in L2, L3 networking stack and SDN software development.
- Strong software architecture, design skills and expertise in defining the data structure.
- Experience with Core Java, Opendaylight plastic library, Yang, JSON schema, REST APIs, Netconf devices, Groovy.
- Expertise in software scaling, scale out infrastructure and system resource monitoring.
- Debugging, software debugging skills and root cause analysis.
- Expertise in micro services architecture and migrating from monolithic to micro service orientation architecture.
- Expertise integrating open source software, message bus (kafka), database selection, clustering, statistics harvesting and analytics.
- Strong interpersonal and communication (written/verbal) skills.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
NYC candidates: Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 for onsite and hybrid NYC roles. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons). Additional information will be provided during the hiring process.