Sr. Software Engineer - Telecommute
UnitedHealthcare is a company that's on the rise. We're expanding in multiple directions, across borders and, most of all, in the way we think. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about transforming the health care industry. Ready to make a difference? Make yourself at home with us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
As an EDI Software Engineer, you will design, create, and maintain software that interfaces with clearinghouses, Medicaid agencies, and plan sponsors. As part of a small team, using technologies such as Clojure, Lisp, and MarkLogic, you will be responsible for the accuracy of our most critical data and solve difficult engineering problems in a distributed system with terabytes of data while ensuring performance and scalability. This is a very backend-focused role - very minimal user interface and UX skills are necessary.
The EDI Software Engineer reports directly to the Director of Software Development.
You'll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Work independently to design, create, and maintain software components
- Propose and implement major system changes to improve the speed, accuracy, or maintainability of our EDI engine
- Implement new interfaces or adjust existing interfaces for new major customers, typically representing millions of members
- Determine software requirements by reviewing implementation guides and companion guides, and actively participating in meetings with all stakeholders
- Ensure your code’s accuracy and performance using automated tests
- Define data flows and transformations using Clojure, Common Lisp, XSLT, xQuery, SQL, and MarkLogic
- Work with a variety of data formats including X12, XML, and TSV
- Work with a variety of databases including MarkLogic, Postgres, and Datomic
- Investigate errors to correct both the loading/transforming processes as well as any affected data
- Explore a large codebase to determine how existing code should evolve to meet new requirements
- Investigate problems that are not yet well understood and propose solutions
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- 3+ years of software development experience
- 2+ years of software development experience in a large-scale, data-intensive project
- Understanding of how to ensure data integrity
- Understanding of software quality assurance for file loading processes
- Proficiency with relational and non-relational databases
- Ability to adopt new technologies quickly
- Superior analytical and problem-solving skills
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- Working knowledge of message queue systems such as RabbitMQ and SQS
- Proficiency with Clojure, Lisp, or functional programming
- Familiarity with Linux command-line tools such as grep, awk, sed, and Perl
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment
Careers at UnitedHealthcare Employer & Individual. We all want to make a difference with the work we do. Sometimes we're presented with an opportunity to make a difference on a scale we couldn't imagine. Here, you get that opportunity every day. As a member of one of our elite teams, you'll provide the ideas and solutions that help nearly 25 million customers live healthier lives. You'll help write the next chapter in the history of health care. And you'll find a wealth of open doors and career paths that will take you as far as you want to go. Go further. This is your life's best work.(sm)
Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $82,100 to $146,900. The salary range for Connecticut / Nevada residents is $90,500 to $161,600. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.