Lead Software Engineer (AI/ML) - Remote
Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that's improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There's no room for error. Join us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
At Optum, we know the extraordinary happens when we value, include, and learn from diverse people and perspectives. That’s why we’re committed to building an innovative culture where every team member is empowered to do their best work, where our diversity fuels our performance, and where we leverage our collective power to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We recognize and embrace the strengths of Neurodivergent individuals and are committed to creating an environment where all people will feel connected, safe, heard, respected, and valued.
About the team:
Looking to make a radical impact on the way the health insurance industry uses and applies technology to make patients and providers’ lives easier? Becoming a part of Optum’s UnitedHealthcare Technology Division will give you the opportunity to just that. Serving all of UnitedHealthcare’s technology needs, UHC Tech is responsible for driving outcomes across nearly 30 million+ human lives, a number which puts UHC at the top of the pack as the largest managed care provider in the United States.
UnitedHealthcare is on a journey towards delivering a best-in-the-industry consumer experience to its patients and providers. This journey starts with the flawless execution of the operations that get benefit plans into the hands of our customers, and the support those customers receive throughout their healthcare journeys. Our team, UHC Tech BenOps, is transforming to meet the moment – to begin radically altering the way our customers engage with the healthcare system using modern tech to solve some of the most complex problems experienced along the way.
The team is focused on the following product areas:
- Quality and Readiness - a suite of technology tools enabling our business partners to monitor and control trends in process quality
- Price Care - an enterprise cost estimation web service providing up-to-date member cost share for all populations and provider services covered by UHC
- Frontline Messaging - an asynchronous messaging platform connecting our consumers to our healthcare advocates for service and support
- Conversational AI - a technology platform that enables UHC to vastly accelerate its Virtual Assistant presence
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
This role is Lead Software Engineer for the UHC Conversational AI Experience Platform. As a Lead Software Engineer, you will be accountable for designing software solutions across the product, which means at least 2 cross-functional/cross-component scrum teams, comprised of 4-6 people each.
- You will be mentoring software engineers within the team
- You will interface with business partners to identify opportunities for better consumer experience
- You will partner with stakeholders to understand business needs, technical solution and implementation
- You will continuously look for, suggest and implement opportunities for solution improvement
- Engineering excellence will be one of your core areas of focus, ensuring that our solutions adopt core efficiencies and proper architecture patterns with a focus on High Availability, Low Latency, Scalability, Consistency, Security, and Enterprise reusability
- You will lead the system and help to define the processes that deliver it. You will act as an individual contributor while providing influence over multiple scrum teams. You will master modern technologies, using them to ensure our system’s continued evolution as customer needs grow and change
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- 6+ years of broad technical knowledge - meaning you are not specialized in Java, Python, or any other coding language. That knowledge spans the full stack, from deployment ops and database technologies through to front-end frameworks. Ideally, you have a deep understanding of both OOP and Functional stacks, Relational and NoSQL Data Stores, Streaming Applications and system development/maintenance in the Public Cloud (Azure a bonus!)
- 4+ years extensive experience in Agile and Scrum. You know how to work within teams against a single backlog to avoid component specialization, and how to enable true CI/CD. You understand the role of a Lead Engineer in an Agile environment - where supporting the team’s understanding of the solution approach and continuing to build solutions in advance of the team’s work on roadmap items is paramount
- 4+ years in a senior engineer role and know how to contribute to a culture of appreciation and continuous peer feedback. You know what it takes to coalesce around a problem and deliver high quality software solutions. You take total ownership over problems, your focus will be exactly where it needs to be, when it needs to be
- You have shipped an AI/ML-based product to market before, or worked on a team that has, and can confidently mentor more junior software engineers to do the same
- Prior experience in Conversational AI Technologies like: Rasa, Azure Bot Framework, Azure Cognitive Services. Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Data Science, Mathematics, other Engineering degree, IT, MIS, other technology related fields, or a specialized certificate in a technology related field
- You must be eligible to work in the U.S. without company sponsorship, now or in the future, for employment-based work authorization. F-1 visa holders with Curricular Practical Training (CPT) or Optional Practical Training (OPT) who will require visa sponsorship, TN visa holders, current H-1B visa holders, and / or those requiring green card sponsorship will not be considered
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment
Technology Careers with Optum. Information and technology have amazing power to transform the health care industry and improve people's lives. This is where it's happening. This is where you'll help solve the problems that have never been solved. We're freeing information so it can be used safely and securely wherever it's needed. We're creating the very best ideas that can most easily be put into action to help our clients improve the quality of care and lower costs for millions. This is where the best and the brightest work together to make positive change a reality. This is the place to do your life's best work.(sm)
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.