Software Automation Engineer
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
As a Software Automation Engineer that specializes on Hadoop/Cassandra clusters, you will be responsible for leading medium to large sized projects related to the Business Intelligence environments. Projects in this environment can include reviewing new technologies, evaluating/selecting tools/products, and providing input to other team members on how to set up these technologies and tools. The position also includes basic system administration functions.
- Collaborating on server-side architecture development for failover and clustering solutions.
- Scripting language experience(FastAPI, Python, Ansible, Jenkins, Powershell, Shell, Cobbler, SQL, Perl, UNIX bash, HTML, VB Script).
- Working knowledge of operating Systems (Linux, Solaris, Windows).
- Developing automation solutions to better manage platforms.
- Partnering directly with the business and application teams to assess new requirements, and determine how best to apply emerging technologies to meet those needs.
- Working directly with application teams to understand the requirements of the various end user requirements.
Where you'll be working...
This hybrid role will have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days as set by the manager.
This position can sit out of any valid U.S. based Verizon work location.
What we’re looking for...
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Four or more years of relevant work experience.
- Willingness to work 8am - 5pm on-call rotation schedule (shifts) including some occasional nights, based on the needs of the business.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- Knowledge of Hadoop and Cassandra.
- Experience in FastAPI, Python, Ansible, Jenkins, Powershell, Shell, Cobbler, SQL, Perl, UNIX bash, HTML, VB Script.
- Experience in using Cobbler or experience with similar cluster tools. deployment/management software (e.g.,Stacki).
- knowledge of system design and hardware at an enterprise level.
- Experience in RHEL administration.
- Experience in Scripting and Automation.
- Knowledge of project management concepts.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Good technical/analytical skills.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to lead and to make decisions.
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills.
If Verizon and this role sound like a fit for you, we encourage you to apply even if you don't meet every "even better" qualification listed above."
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.