Software Engineer – AI
Optum, the fast-growing part of UnitedHealth Group, is a leading information and technology-enabled health services business. Our teams are dedicated to modernizing the health care system and improving the lives of people and communities.
Serving virtually every dimension of the health system, we work with a diverse set of clients across 150 countries – from those who diagnose and treat patients to those who pay for care, deliver health services, and those who supply the cures. Optum maintains operations across North America, South America, Europe, Asia Pacific and the Middle East. Our innovative partnerships provide technology and tools that enable unprecedented collaboration and efficiency. As a result, we can tap into valuable health care data to uncover insights and develop strategies for better care at lower costs.
Here at Optum, part of United Health Group we'll put you in the driver's seat on vital projects that have strategic importance to our mission of helping people lead healthier lives. Yes, we share a mission that inspires. We need your organizational talents and business discipline to help fuel ours. It's the opportunity to do your life's best work.
About the Role of the Software Engineer:
As a Software Engineer – AI for Optum Technology, you’ll be part of a team responsible to focus on working towards business problems and providing solutions. You will be closely involved in all aspects of product delivery from start to finish. That includes gathering the data, doing data science work & creating a model & getting predictions and working with the entire delivery team from development to production. This role is key to building Optum Advanced technology strategic product solution.
Primary Responsibilities of the Software Engineer:
- Collaborate within a cross-disciplinary team to understand, design, and deliver innovative solutions.
- Ability to effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions to a range of audiences.
- Approach highly uncertain and ambiguous environments with curiosity and a positive can-do attitude.
- Ability to design and code solutions starting with broadly defined problems.
- Produce high-quality software deliverables that include unit-test, experiment notebooks, and backend services with code reviewed, and checked in regularly for continuous integration and delivery.
- Design and build solutions that are scalable, fault-tolerant, low cost, and easy to use
- Ability to navigate and handle large and complex dataset for analysis, transform and modelling preparation.
- Work in an agile environment to deliver high quality software.
- Continuously learn and evolve skills.
You will be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role, as well as providing development for other roles you may be interested in.
Required Qualifications of the Software Engineer:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, AI/Machine Learning, Statistics, Optimization or related fields at time of application
- Previous work experience in Data Science, Data Engineering, and/or Data Science AI/ML domain.
- Demonstrated experience of Computer Science fundamentals and DevOps practices.
- Fluency in one or more programming language: Python, Scala, Java, C/C++ or other programming languages to demonstrate the results of algorithmic approaches.
- Willingness to get things done, take initiative and challenge existing assumptions and conventions
Preferred Qualifications of the Software Engineer:
- Advanced Degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, or related quantitative discipline.
- Experience with AI, data mining, or information retrieval.
- Experience developing and designing consumer-facing products.
- Prior experience with Cloud AI APIs (GCP, Azure, AWS).
- Healthcare industry experience is a plus.
All telecommuters will be required to adhere to the UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.