Software Engineer - API Development (100150)
Diversity of backgrounds, ideas, thoughts, and experiences is vital to our culture and the way we do business. Creating an environment where differences are embraced and where every person feels engaged and included makes us safer, stronger, and more successful.
With a history dating back to 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse U.S. publicly traded water and wastewater utility company. The company employs more than 7,000 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to 15 million people in 46 states. American Water provides safe, clean, affordable and reliable water services to our customers to help make sure we keep their lives flowing. For more information, visit amwater.com and follow American Water on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
Be a part of the team that builds APIs and integrations for our Product Development teams to deliver value to American Water’s business functions. The team is designed improve operations within American Water’s Technology and Innovation organization to provide and steward a rich catalog of integrations to internal and external software services. You along with your team members will provide software development support by identifying, developing, optimizing, and documenting software integration services.Key Accountabilities
- Build robust APIs, message queues and file integration services
- Work collaboratively across the organization to address and predict performance bottlenecks
- Work with key stakeholders to identify improvements to maximize customer experience
- Utilize a combination of open source and in house developed software to meet company goals
- Possess a sound understanding of technologies such as RESTful and SOAP APIs, HTTP/HTTPS protocol usage, proxies, security concepts and controls of public interfaces
- Knowledge of distributed software architecture (SOA) and implementation methodologies, including functional/technical design, coding, and testing
- Knowledge of and usage of markup languages, frameworks, and data interchange formats such as JSON, RAML and Swagger
- Knowledge of AWS cloud services
- Knowledge of API utilities such as cURL and Postman
- Experience with SAP APIM (API Management), AWS API Gateway, Apigee or similar API management tools is a plus
- Ability to work independently and within a team in a fast-changing environment with changing priorities and changing time constraints
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to multi-task
- Ability to interpret business requests and communicate findings in an intelligible manner
- Ability to communicate technical findings to non-technical audiences
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and proven ability to work effectively at all levels in the organization
- Positive “glass half-full” attitude, pleasant to work with, focused on customer satisfaction
- Detail oriented
- Proactive, persistent, passionate, creative, flexible, and dependable
- Strong customer and user experience focus
- 2-5 years’ experience working in software development.
- Experience with the water utility industry is desired, but not required
- Bachelor’s in Computer Science / Information Technology / Information Systems / Accounting or Business or related field of Engineering
- Masters or MBA preferred
- AWS Certification is a plus
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.