Software Engineer II (100424)
Diversity of backgrounds, ideas, thoughts, and experiences is vital to our culture and the way we do business. Creating an environment where differences are embraced and where every person feels engaged and included makes us safer, stronger, and more successful.
With a history dating back to 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse U.S. publicly traded water and wastewater utility company. The company employs more than 7,000 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to 15 million people in 46 states. American Water provides safe, clean, affordable and reliable water services to our customers to help make sure we keep their lives flowing. For more information, visit amwater.com and follow American Water on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
The Data Engineer is a key resource within the Data Analytics and Data Management organization. This individual is part of a team responsible for all infrastructure and application services that underpin the enterprise data platform which, supports custom applications, dashboards, and advanced analytics. In addition to administrating the data platform’s core services, the data engineer will be responsible for developing and supporting new workflows and functionalities.
The Data Engineer will support our application developers, database developers, data scientists, and other key stakeholders on data initiatives and will ensure optimal data delivery architecture is consistent throughout ongoing projects. They must be self-directed and comfortable supporting the data needs of multiple teams, systems and products.
The Data Engineer will be responsible for expanding and optimizing our data platform architecture, as well as optimizing data flow and collection for our key stakeholders. The right candidate will be excited by the prospect of optimizing or even re-designing our company’s data architecture to support our next generation of products and data initiativesKey Accountabilities
- Create technology solutions for business users by developing, implementing, and maintaining commercial off-the-shelf software solutions, internet/intranet applications, and custom developed systems
- Assist in team development while holding teams accountable for their commitments, removing roadblocks to their work; leveraging organizational resources to improve capacity for project work; and mentoring and developing team members
- Promote empowerment of the team, ensure that each team member is fully engaged in the project and making a meaningful contribution, and encourage a sustainable pace with high-levels of quality for the team
- Perform as a team of strategic, creative, and technical professionals who partner with our clients to solve business problems and meet meaningful business goals
- Act as an expert in a particular field of knowledge [this may be a business/functional area and/or a particular technology] and provide detailed information and advice as necessary in that specialization in order to achieve business outcomes
- Develop and/or promote technical solutions which support the business requirements within their area of expertise
- Accountable for specific deliverables in relation to software or web development and/or support
- As needed, lead the technical activity within their area of specialization
- Support the Head of Technology Enablement/Customer Enablement in managing customer expectations for project deliverables, managing stakeholder communications, and helping to implement an effective system of project governance
- Engage closely with clients to understand what business objectives they want to accomplish through technology enablement and then work with the Customer Enablement team of developers and designers to bring those ideas to life
- Strong analytical and quantitative problem-solving ability
- Excellent communication, relationship skills and a strong team player
- Strong presentation skills, with the ability to present statistical results to lay persons in an easy to understand way.
- Intellectually curious and willing to learn
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced and ambiguous environment
- Experience working with AWS services such as EC2, RDS, CloudFormation, Lambda, EMR, MSK, AWS Elasticsearch
- Experience programming in Java, Scala, and Python
- Strong understanding of SQL and experience working with common big data technologies
- Knowledge of NiFi and Postgres is a plus
- Versed and experienced with the Project Lifecycle including design, build, testing, deployment and the key touchpoints of the support team with project efforts and activities
- Ability to mentor and institutionalize all processes related to support including incident and problem management, as well as the transition of project work to production support
- Ability to prioritize, coordinate, and communicate work, as well as status of work
- 3+ years data engineering and support experience
- Experience with support processes, associated systems, documentation and artifacts
- Preferred skills:
- Experience in an ITIL environment, ITIL certifications a plus
- Experience mentoring junior team members
- Exposure as a Business Analyst a plus
- Bachelors or advanced degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Business from an accredited institution or equivalent
- Master’s degree preferred
- As necessary, up to 30%
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.