Software Engineer SME ( R-00065087 )
Ready for your next career step? We are seeking a talented Software Engineer SME with 12+ years hands-on experience to join our dynamic team in Omaha, NE. This opportunity will provide professional growth that is singularly focused on providing world class solutions to our customers in an exciting, collaborative, and inclusive environment. You will be challenged and provided a tremendous opportunity to expand your skills in a customer-facing, fast-paced, and rewarding environment.
The SME Software Engineer will work closely with all other levels of our Software Engineers and is responsible for architecting, designing, building, and enhancing highly available and scalable systems used by customers worldwide. You will direct major deliverables of projects through all aspects of the software development lifecycle including scope and work estimation, architecture and design, coding and unit testing. Additionally, you will determine and recommend the best designs based on customer business objectives, timelines and other resource constraints. In this role, there is the potential to support multiple contract to help provide growth and broadening opportunities within Leidos.
These is some of the cool stuff you will be doing in this role:
- Lead or directly contribute to all aspects of the software development lifecycle including scope and work estimation, architecture and design, coding, and automated testing within an Agile and Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery model.
- Provide direct contributions to the technical and operational direction of the program to government and Leidos leadership.
- Have regular customer interface acting as representative of the APS team at a high level.
- Own the delivery of an entire piece of a system or application, and serve as a technical lead on medium to large, complex projects.
- Design, develop, troubleshoot, and debug mission critical software source code using modern software development languages and tools, such as java.
- Implement Agile development tools such as Jira, Confluence, and Bitbucket/Git to manage work and collaborate with your teams.
- Create and update relevant documentation and specifications for design, development and testing.
- Identify potential roadblocks and develop around them.
- Plan and estimate development tasks and work to improve performance metrics.
- Develop and execute maintainable code that matches specification.
- Develop automated tests leveraging a continuous integration process.
- Own delivery of small parts of a system or application.
- Work closely with other engineers to develop the best technical design and approach for new product development.
- Build software solutions where the solution is not always well defined but always considers the customer first.
To be successful in this role you must have the following basic qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant field and 12+ years of related experience. May be able to consider additional experience in lieu of a degree.
- Must possess a Top-Secret clearance based on a Special Background Investigation and be eligible for Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI), Nuclear Command and Control (NC2) and Special Access Program (SAP) access.
- Experience managing a team.
- Extensive hands-on experience with Java/C++ and object oriented programming.
- Ability to apply software development process fundamentals.
- Strong, self-motivated desire to learn new programming languages, tools, frameworks, and techniques.
- Ability to complete tasking independently with minimal direct supervision.
- Ability to work and collaborate effectively within a multi-disciplined engineering team.
- Proficiency with web application technologies, such as Apache Tomcat, JBoss, etc.
- Experience delivering an entire piece of a system or application.
- Deep understanding of software design patterns.
- Knowledge of Agile Development methodologies.
- Experience with a version control system (e.g., Git) and experience with an issue/problem tracking system (e.g., Jira).
- Proficiency with multiple operating systems (Mac OSX, Windows, LINUX, etc.).
- Proficiency with at least one Relational Database Management System (Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQL Server, etc.).
- Proficiency with MS Office Products (Word, Excel, Visio, & PowerPoint).
You will wow us even more if you have these preferred skills:
- Extensive experience with USSTRATCOM Nuclear Planning process.
- Extensive experience with the use of the Air Vehicle Planning System (APS) for mission planning.
- DOD 8570 IAT level 2 baseline certification.
APS 6Pay Range: