Senior Software Engineer (101332)
Diversity of backgrounds, ideas, thoughts, and experiences is vital to our culture and the way we do business. Creating an environment where differences are embraced and where every person feels engaged and included makes us safer, stronger, and more successful.
With a history dating back to 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse U.S. publicly traded water and wastewater utility company. The company employs more than 7,000 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to 15 million people in 46 states. American Water provides safe, clean, affordable and reliable water services to our customers to help make sure we keep their lives flowing. For more information, visit amwater.com and follow American Water on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
PLEASE NOTE: In order for American Water to evaluate decisions about new regulations, reintegration, and safe operating practices, all employees are required to report their vaccination status.Primary Role
The Senior Software Engineer assists with all technical aspects of line of business product solutions including custom code, third party applications, and integrations. They help evaluate technical alternatives and feasibility and produce functional/technical designs that offer the best solution to the problem. They can act as the technical expert during iterative development cycles reviewing teams’ work product for quality control and develop complex solutions across varied data sources to provide creative strategies to solve customer problems. The Senior Software Engineer helps identify and implement solutions in conjunction with, or independent of, a development team and collaborates with teams to establish new product design objectives, including systems requirements and validation criteria. The Senior Software Engineer works collaboratively within the Customer Enablement teams to push product solutions to address customer needs. They also provides hands-on assistance to developers. The Senior Software Engineer can often conceive and create mold breaking design solutions and deliver brilliant work in a scrappy, fast paced, customer-oriented environment. They are capable of learning the customer and their business. They know technology and how to enable it. The Senior Software Engineer connects technology with the user, bringing both together in unconventional, innovative ways.Key Accountabilities
- Application and Web Development
- Create technology solutions for business users by developing, implementing, and maintaining commerical off-the-shelf software solutions, internet/intranet applications, and custom developed systems. 30%
- Deep proficiency with Java development.
- Deep proficiency in software development methodologies and frameworks, such as
- Inversion of control / dependency injection
- Unit testing / test driven development
- Object-relational mappers
- Observer pattern / pub-sub
- Message queuing
- Strong proficiency with the Spring Tool Suite.
• Deep proficiency with Java development.
• Deep proficiency in software development methodologies and frameworks, such as
o Inversion of control / dependency injection
o Unit testing / test driven development
o Object-relational mappers
o Observer pattern / pub-sub
o Message queuing
• Strong proficiency with the Spring Tool Suite.
• Strong familiarity with UI presentation frameworks, such as AngularJS or ReactJS.
• Strong familiarity with standard development technologies, such as
o Web protocols (HTTP/HTTPS)
o SAML / OpenID Connect / Oauth
o SSL / TLS
• Strong familiarity with standard application hosting technologies (eg Apache Tomcat).
• Strong familiarity with application build, stage, and deploy tools, such as TeamCity or Jenkins, Artifactory, etc.
• Strong familiarity with application logging technologies, along with log / metric shipping, collection, and analytics technologies such as Elasticsearch, Splunk, etc.
• Strong familiarity with application hosting using Docker and Kubernetes.
• Strong familiarity with application / infrastructure debugging tools and techniques.
• Strong familiarity with cloud hosting technologies and solutions, as well as cloud automation toolsets (eg, Terraform, AWS CloudFormation, AWS CodePipeline, etc).
• Strong knowledge of digital technologies preferably within the water and wastewater industries focused primarily in one technology specialty area
• Knowedge of a small set of interdisciplinary technology specialities [e.g. data, mobility, GIS, collaboration, infrastructure] and/or strong knowledge of a particular specialty area
• Demonstrated ability to apply these technology specialties to solve practical problems in a high-tech development environment with multifunction teams for small to medium, complex systems with some guidance
- Bachelors' degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering,
- Information Systems or similar technology field is required [equivalent work experience will be considered]. Master's degree is preferred.
- Appropriate technical certification in speciality area preferred.
- 3+ years experience working in the technology field required with an additional 1+ years dedicated to the specialty area as a systems analyst or equivalent role.
- Experience with the water utility industry is highly desired, but not required.
- Good decision-making ability, balancing what is right with what is realistic
- Flexibility to adjust to multiple demands, shifting priorities, ambiguity, and rapid change
- Demonstrated ability to lead through influence and to deliver results through others while overcoming obstacles to success
- Possesses a high energy level, sense of urgency, decisiveness, and an ability to work well under pressure
- Possesses a curiosity and a passion towards engaging the imagination of senior level executives in grasping and enabling the fundamentals of change
- Demonstrated ability to work and team with a multitude of different people from various lines of business as well as within Technology & Innovation
- Good verbal and written communication skills for a wide variety of audiences including proven ability to deliver conference presentations
- Creative approach to problem-solving with the ability to focus on details while simultaneously maintaining the "big picture" view
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because they are an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.