Principal Software Engineer ( 584224-1F )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
Verizon is serious about innovation. About being the first and being the best. Verizon Location Technology (VLT) sits at the core of the Strategy and New Business Development organization and is a critical part of driving innovation across our global customer base, both inside and outside of Verizon. Backed by more than 50 years of location-based expertise, we are building solutions that leverage the power of location intelligence to help drive technologies of the future. Technologies like 5G, Multi-Access Edge Computing and Artificial Intelligence that are allowing us to create products that were previously impossible. We’re building tomorrow with the best of today.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will be solving deep technical problems and building innovative solutions in a fast-paced environment working with smart and passionate team members. You must have hands-on experience building scalable services. Your responsibilities will include participating in the overarching solution, working closely with software engineering teams to bridge key technical relationships, and driving projects towards success.
You will work closely with product owners, additional stakeholders and software engineering teams to develop high-quality software. You will be detail oriented, self-directed, self-motivated, with a strong capacity for working successfully and collaboratively with members across the organization.
- Design and develop complex software components and applications related to Digital Space Orchestration and our next-generation platform APIs.
- Guide team development efforts towards successful project delivery.
- Ensure that code adheres to defined standards and best practices for performance, speed, scalability, and quality.
- Assist in the collection and documentation of requirements, development of user stories, estimates and work plans.
- Identify and encourage areas for growth and improvement within the team.
- Practice Agile development methods and exemplify the core values of transparency, collaboration, acceptance of change, and iterative development.
- Routinely deliver working software solutions that meet user story acceptance criteria.
- Learn from, collaborate with, and mentor team members.
- Facilitate technical conflict resolution with active listening and critical thinking
This hybrid role will have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days as set by the manager.
What we’re looking for...
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
Even better if you have:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of software engineering experience, including Java and/or related languages.
- Six or more years of experience with database technologies including SQL and NoSQL technologies.
- Eight or more years of experience leading large-scale projects.
- Significant experience in building high-performance, highly-available and scalable distributed systems (caching, messaging, asynchronicity, ETL, etc.)
- Familiar with functional programming paradigms.
- Experience designing, building and managing Internet-scale APIs.
- Experience with Amazon Web Services, Docker and Kubernetes.
- Hands on experience with multi-threaded applications, inter-process communication, and complex software development.
- Experience mentoring and growing software engineers.
- Ability and willingness to learn new technologies quickly.
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative agile team.
- Demonstrated aptitude and desire to learn new skills.
- Written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to embrace change and work in a fast paced, iterative environment.
Not to boast, but a little bit about us.
Verizon powers America’s fastest and most reliable network. We’re also leading the way in cloud and security solutions, IoT, location, and video entertainment. Technology moves fast and so do we. We believe that bringing great ideas and customer experiences to life should be recognized and rewarded. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, find your future at Verizon.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons).