Principal Software Engineer ( 584808-1C )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
Verizon is serious about innovation. About being the first and being the best. Verizon Location Technology (VLT) sits at the core of the Strategy and New Business Development organization and is a critical part of driving innovation across our global customer base, both inside and outside of Verizon. Backed by more than 50 years of location-based expertise, we are building solutions that leverage the power of location intelligence to help drive technologies of the future. Technologies like 5G, Multi-Access Edge Computing and Artificial Intelligence that are allowing us to create products that were previously impossible. We’re building tomorrow with the best of today.
As a Principal Software Engineer, you will engage at all levels with an experienced cross-disciplinary staff. You will be solving deep technical problems and building innovative solutions in a fast-paced environment working with smart and passionate team members. You must have hands-on experience building scalable services. Your responsibilities will include owning the overarching solution, working closely with software engineering teams to bridge key technical relationships, and driving projects towards success.
You will work closely with product owners, additional stakeholders and software engineering teams to define the roadmap, architecture and success metrics for new system capabilities, build scalable services, and influence the broader Verizon Location Technology (VLT) development strategy. As a Principal Software Engineer you’ll be a technical leader, establish technical standards and drive engineering practices. You’ll work on VLT’s hardest problems - building high quality, architecturally sound systems that are aligned with our business needs.
- Serve as a technical lead on our most demanding, cross-functional projects.
- Ensure the quality of architecture and design of systems.
- Functionally decompose complex problems into simple, straight-forward solutions.
- Fully and completely understand system interdependencies and limitations.
- Effectively research and benchmark technology against other competing systems in the industry.
- Contribute intellectual property through patents.
- Assist in the career development of others, actively mentoring individuals and the community on advanced technical issues and helping managers guide the career growth of their team members.
- Exert technical influence over multiple teams, increasing their productivity and effectiveness by sharing your deep knowledge and experience.
This hybrid role will have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days as set by your manager.
What we’re looking for...
You possess excellent communication skills as well as the technical background to fluently interact and provide guidance to software engineers and architects.
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor's degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Six or more years of software engineering experience, including Java and/or related languages.
- Experience leading large-scale projects.
- Experience in networking, multi-threaded applications, inter-process communication, and complex software development.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- A Master's degree in a related field.
- Willingness to learn new technologies quickly.
- Experience with Java or another Object Oriented Programming Language.
- Experience mentoring and growing software engineers.
- Experience designing, building and managing Internet-scale APIs.
- Significant experience in building high-performance, highly-available and scalable distributed systems.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons).