Software Engineer- entry level ( R-00070470 )
Leidos currently has immediate openings for Scientific Computing Software Engineers, supporting multiple US Navy programs located at Manassas, VA.
Leidos’ High Fidelity Simulation Business Area is responsible for architecting and implementing large-scale System of Systems solutions in support of world class simulation, training, and analysis products for the US Navy. We are looking for energetic, motivated, independent, self-starters for a challenging position supporting programs that develop and produce state of the art training and tactical decision aids systems. Career advancement possibilities are limited only by your desire. If you have the ambition, we have the position. This position requires US citizenship and the ability to obtain an active DoD Secret clearance.
Candidates will develop sophisticated, real-time, software to enhance the fidelity of training and simulation systems. The work may include developing numerical models, sonar system simulation/stimulation software, data visualization software, message passing and data distribution software, and/or trainer command and control software. This code is used in a variety of naval training and simulation systems. All software is developed in a Linux environment, and written primarily in C++, Java, and Python, utilizing various software packages (boost, NumPy, and MPI). Software development will include requirements analysis, designing, coding, unit testing, integration testing, and verification and validation testing. Work will include the development of new code and the maintenance and extension of existing code. A background in physics or mathematics is useful to implement physics-based enhancements to the training and simulation systems. Our team employs an agile development approach.
Travel is required to trainer sites at various naval bases, and will account for less than 10% of the job.
Leidos is the prime contractor supporting the Naval Surface Warfare Center, Carderock, for training and tactical decision aids systems used throughout the US Navy supporting submarines, surface ships, surveillance SONAR systems as well as a number of Command and Control (C2) ASW systems.
• B.S./B.A. in Computer Science.
• US Citizenship and ability to obtain a DoD Secret security clearance.
• Must have some experience developing software in C++, Java, or related languages.
• Must have a strong working knowledge of tools and libraries available for the Linux operating system, and be familiar with sound software engineering principles and methodologies.
• Must demonstrate a commitment to excellence, a dedication to producing quality work results, and an ability to learn and apply new skills. Must be committed to customer service, well organized, able to plan and prioritize assignments, and able to effectively handle multiple tasks simultaneously..
• Must be able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing, be courteous and professional when interacting with colleagues and customers, demonstrate a solid ability to identify and solve problems, and be able to work successfully in a team environment.
• Advanced degree, continuing education in computer science, and/or advanced math/physics background.
• Cluster computing, signal processing, real-time software, numerical simulation software, multi-threaded, multi-processor software, data visualization software, underwater acoustic modeling, or familiarity with sonar systems.
• Experience with Agile development and Atlassian products.