Senior Software Quality Engineer (1540)
At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing lectures vividly to life to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always re-examining the way people learn best, whether it’s one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe. We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology — and each other to surpass these boundaries — we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world’s innovations, personal and global, large and small.
The Senior Software Quality Engineer (SQE) is responsible for analyzing, testing, and resolving technical issues to ensure that developed products meet the design specifications and are within Pearson standards. This position is responsible for leading and guiding one or more technical QA projects.
Senior Software Quality Engineer Responsibilities:
- Guides the planning, creation and execution of automated tests using a test automation tool including, but not limited to, Selenium, WebDriver, SoapUI, JUnit, and Java based homegrown test frameworks. Understands the concepts behind and when and why to do automation.
- Has demonstrated lead capabilities: lead a team(s) successfully, works well with other departments – Dev/PM/PdM, etc. Has demonstrated planning and resource scheduling skills. Facilitates troubleshooting and solves problems.
- Understands and implements, at a team level, practices developed by the Core Platforms Practice Areas.
- Subject matter expert on testing RESTful APIs and automation of backend services using Java based test framework.
- Experience working closely with engineering team and support them by conducting early stage testing on dev branches.
- Participates fully in sprint planning review meetings, ensure acceptance criteria is clear, precise and testable.
- Review entrance and exit criteria for appropriate testing cycles. Analyze and ensure requirements/User Story acceptance criteria are acceptable for test case creation.
- Review and executes manual and automated test cases, as well as performs back end data validation where it is applicable.
- Tracks test progress and results in test management tools like Jira, HP ALM and Tableau.
- Ensures highly complex testing on projects utilizing Practice Area guidelines. Such as, understanding API/Web Services testing and understanding when to write test harnesses using web services technologies and is able to disseminate this information to team members.
- Leads, plans, schedules and implements testing for projects, defines test objectives, writes scripts (manual and automated). Formulates test plans including systems analysis, risk analysis, dependency analysis, writing and plotting test strategies, Understands and executes accesibility tests, cross browser and mobile specific tests; and determines how to report defects (pre/post- production).
- Investigates and reports project issues by communicating and working with various departments including: Development, Product, Project Management, Systems and Application support groups, as well as other project teams.
- Provides coaching, training and mentoring to Software Quality Engineers
- Understanding of CI/CD approach and QE effort needed to support it.
- Identifies opportunities, then leads the roll out of inventive tech ideas and implements solutions with other projects teams, the SQE department, as well as other departments.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree in Computer related field preferred with five (5) to eight (8) years experience and/or equivalent work experience. Experience leading and mentoring multiple teams and projects required; or equivalent education and experience to successfully perform the essential duties of the job.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Expert experience or knowledge required in the following: SQE process, SQE documentation, Agile development methodology, and testing
- Understanding of Coding Fundamentals (variable declaration, program flow, functions, error handling, etc)
- Understanding of Web Services (SOAP, REST)
- Understanding of Microservice architecture
- Understanding and experience working in relational and non-relational databases
- Proficient in version and source control tools - GitLab / Bitbucket
- Strong working understanding and implementation practice of software development life-cycle and testing tools
- Advanced experience using estimation practices related to task durations to meet schedules in an agile software development environment
- Ability to learn and actively seek new skills and knowledge to keep up with the changing technology field, including bringing any new ideas to the SQE department
- Ability to think outside the box, adapt to circumstances, learn from co-workers, and share information and experiences
Work with other project teams to identify dependencies
- Able to research root causes around customer facing incidents
- Organize, implement, and execute defined testing processes within the test team
- Identify, recommend and implement mitigation strategies to keep project work on track
- Track project team progress by utilizing Jira; create pre-release and release templates that include all common user stories and tasks; add additional tasks for iteration planning
- Prepare groups and documentation for project release: App.Support, Release readiness Dashboard, etc.
- Lead deep dives after iteration planning
- Monitor QE work and escalate issues when appropriate
- Ensure status of Jira and HP ALM, etc. are up to date
- Ensure integration testing is conducted as needed – set up meetings with other teams, discuss testing needs, ensure testing is done
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Organization: Corporate Strategy & Technology
Req ID: 1540