Senior Software Engineer II (101435)
Diversity of backgrounds, ideas, thoughts, and experiences is vital to our culture and the way we do business. Creating an environment where differences are embraced and where every person feels engaged and included makes us safer, stronger, and more successful.
With a history dating back to 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse U.S. publicly traded water and wastewater utility company. The company employs more than 7,000 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to 15 million people in 46 states. American Water provides safe, clean, affordable and reliable water services to our customers to help make sure we keep their lives flowing. For more information, visit amwater.com and follow American Water on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
PLEASE NOTE: In order for American Water to evaluate decisions about new regulations, reintegration, and safe operating practices, all employees are required to report their vaccination status.Primary Role
The Senior Technologist is a key resource within the Data Analytics and Data Management organization. This individual is part of a team responsible for all infrastructure and application services that underpin the enterprise data platform which, supports custom applications, dashboards, and advanced analytics. In addition to administrating the data platform’s core services, the Senior Technologist will be responsible for developing and supporting new workflows and functionalities. The Senior Technologist will support our application developers, database developers, data scientists, and other key stakeholders on data initiatives and will ensure optimal data delivery architecture is consistent throughout ongoing projects. They must be self-directed and comfortable supporting the data needs of multiple teams, systems, and products. The Senior Technologist will be responsible for expanding and optimizing our data platform architecture, as well as optimizing data flow and collection for our key stakeholders. The right candidate will be excited by the prospect of optimizing or even re-designing our company’s data architecture to support our next generation of products and data initiatives.Key Accountabilities
- Day to Day Support: (40%)
- Policies, Procedures and Standards: (5%)
- Technical Requirements and Design: (10%)
- Training: (10%)
- Project Requirements: (35%)
• Over 5-10 years of experience in Data Engineering, Operations Support or Database Infrastructure.
• Create technology solutions for business users by developing, implementing, and maintaining commercial off-the-shelf software solutions, internet/intranet applications, and custom developed systems.
• Assist in team development while holding teams accountable for their commitments, removing roadblocks to their work; leveraging organizational resources to improve capacity for project work; and mentoring and developing team members.
• Promote empowerment of the team, ensure that each team member is fully engaged in the project and making a meaningful contribution, and encourage a sustainable pace with high levels of quality for the team.
• Perform as a team of strategic, creative, and technical professionals who partner with our clients to solve business problems and meet meaningful business goals.
• Act as an expert in a particular field of knowledge [this may be a business/functional area and/or a particular technology] and provide detailed information and advice as necessary in that specialization to achieve business outcomes.
• Develop and/or promote technical solutions which support the business requirements within their area of expertise.
• Accountable for specific deliverables in relation to software or web development and/or support.
• As needed, lead the technical activity within their area of specialization.
• Strong presentation skills, with the ability to present statistical results to lay persons in an easy-to-understand way.
• Intellectually curious and willing to learn.
• Ability to thrive in a fast paced and ambiguous environment.
• Experience working with AWS services such as EC2, RDS, CloudFormation, Lambda, EMR, MSK, AWS Elasticsearch.
• Experience programming in Java, Scala, and Python.
• Strong understanding of SQL and experience working with common big data technologies.
• Knowledge of NiFi and Postgres is a plus.
• Versed and experienced with the Project Lifecycle including design, build, testing, deployment, and the key touchpoints of the support team with project efforts and activities.
• Ability to mentor and institutionalize all processes related to support including incident and problem management, as well as the transition of project work to production support.
• Ability to prioritize, coordinate, and communicate work, as well as status of work.
- BS/MS degree in Computer Science, Engineering, MIS, or equivalent with programming experience
- 5-10 years of software development experience in an application development environment through Internship or work experience
- AWS Certification Preferred
• Strong interpersonal skills including mentoring, coaching, collaborating, and team building.
• Knowledge and understanding of business needs with the ability to establish/maintain high level of customer trust and confidence.
• Excellent decision-making ability, balancing what is right with what is realistic.
• Flexibility to adjust to multiple demands, shifting priorities, ambiguity, and rapid change.
• Possess a high energy level, sense of urgency, decisiveness, and an ability to work well under pressure.
• Possess a curiosity and a passion towards engaging the imagination of line of business leaders in grasping and enabling the fundamentals of change.
• Demonstrated ability to work and team with a multitude of different people from various lines of business.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills for a wide variety of audiences including proven ability to deliver conference presentations.
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because they are an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.