Software Engineer II (101644)
Diversity of backgrounds, ideas, thoughts, and experiences is vital to our culture and the way we do business. Creating an environment where differences are embraced and where every person feels engaged and included makes us safer, stronger, and more successful.
With a history dating back to 1886, American Water (NYSE:AWK) is the largest and most geographically diverse U.S. publicly traded water and wastewater utility company. The company employs more than 6,400 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and regulated-like drinking water and wastewater services to an estimated 14 million people in 25 states. American Water provides safe, clean, affordable and reliable water services to our customers to help keep their lives flowing. For more information, visit amwater.com and follow American Water on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
PLEASE NOTE: In order for American Water to evaluate decisions about new regulations, reintegration, and safe operating practices, all employees are required to report their vaccination status.Primary Role
The Software Engineer Assists with technical aspects of line of business product solutions including custom code, third party applications, and integrations. Evaluates technical alternatives and feasibility and produce functional/technical designs that offer the best solution to the problem. Act as a technical lead during iterative development cycles reviewing teams’ work product for quality control and develop complex solutions across varied data sources to provide creative strategies to solve customer problems. Identifies and implements solutions in conjunction with a development team and collaborates with teams to establish new product design objectives, including systems requirements and validation criteria. Provides hands-on domain and technical guidance to developers. Is expected to conceive and create mold breaking design solutions and to deliver brilliant work in a scrappy, fast paced, customer-oriented environment. Knows the customer and their business. They know technology and how to enable it. Connects technology with the user, bringing both together in unconventional, innovative ways.Key Accountabilities
- 40% Technology Expertise
- Act as an expert in a particular field of knowledge [this may be a business/functional area and/or a particular technology] and provide detailed information and advice as necessary in that specialization in order to achieve business outcomes.
- Develop and/or promote technical solutions which support the business requirements within their area of expertise.
- Be accountable for specific deliverables in relation to software or web development and/or support.
- As needed, lead the technical activity within their area of specialization.
- 10% Team Development and Management
- Assist in team development and mentoring and developing team members.
- Promote empowerment of the team, ensure that each team member is fully engaged in the project and making a meaningful contribution, and encourage a sustainable pace with high levels of quality for the team.Perform as a team of strategic, creative, and technical professionals who partner with our clients to solve business problems and meet meaningful business goals.
- 10% Product Owner Support
- Support the Head of Technology Enablement/Customer Enablement in managing customer expectations for project deliverables, managing stakeholder communications, and helping to implement an effective system of project governance.
- Engage closely with clients to understand what business objectives they want to accomplish through technology enablement and then work with the Customer Enablement team of developers and designers to bring those ideas to life.
- 40% Application and Web Development
- Create technology solutions for business users by developing, implementing, and maintaining commercial off-the-shelf software solutions, internet/intranet applications, and custom developed systems.
- Strong proficiency with Java development.
- Strong proficiency in software development methodologies and frameworks, such as
- Inversion of control / dependency injection
- Unit testing / test driven development
- Object-relational mappers
- Observer pattern / pub-sub
- Message queuing
- Strong proficiency with the Spring Tool Suite.
- Strong familiarity with UI presentation frameworks, such as AngularJS or ReactJS.
- Strong familiarity with standard development technologies, such as
- Web protocols (HTTP/HTTPS)
- SAML / OpenID Connect / Oauth
- SSL / TLS
- Strong familiarity with standard application hosting technologies (eg Apache Tomcat).
- Strong familiarity with application build, stage, and deploy tools, such as TeamCity or Jenkins, Artifactory, etc.
- Strong familiarity with application logging technologies, along with log / metric shipping, collection, and analytics technologies such as Elasticsearch, Splunk, etc.
- Strong familiarity with application hosting using Docker and Kubernetes.
- Strong familiarity with application / infrastructure debugging tools and techniques.
- Strong familiarity with cloud hosting technologies and solutions, as well as cloud automation toolsets (eg, Terraform, AWS CloudFormation, AWS CodePipeline, etc).Excellent knowledge of digital technologies and applicability for the water and wastewater industries focused primarily in one technology specialty area
Expertise with a broad set of interdisciplinary technology specialties [e.g. data, mobility, GIS, collaboration, infrastructure] and/or deep knowledge of a specialty area
Demonstrated ability to apply technologies to solve practical problems in a high-tech development environment with multi- function teams for large, complex systems with minimal direction
Bachelors’ degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering, Information Systems, or similar technology field [Equivalent work experience will be considered].
Appropriate technical certification in key specialties are preferred.
5+ years of experience working in the technology field required.
Experience with the water utility industry is highly desired, but not required.
- As necessary, up to 50%
- On and offsite where the office is located in Camden, NJ
- Hybrid work schedule available to include 3 days in office, 2 days remote work per week.
- Excellent decision-making ability, balancing what is right with what is realistic.
- Flexibility to adjust to multiple demands, shifting priorities, ambiguity, and rapid change.
- Demonstrated ability to lead through influence and to deliver results through others while overcoming obstacles to success.
- Possesses a high energy level, sense of urgency, decisiveness, and an ability to work well under pressure.
- Possesses a curiosity and a passion towards engaging the imagination of senior level executives in grasping and enabling the fundamentals of change.
- Demonstrated ability to work and team with a multitude of different people from various lines of business as well as within Technology & Innovation.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills for a wide variety of audiences including proven ability to deliver conference presentations.
- Creative approach to problem-solving with the ability to focus on details while simultaneously maintaining the "big picture" view.
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because they are an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.