Senior Director Software Engineering
Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that's improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There's no room for error. Join us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
Optum Labs is a leading digital transformation of the UHG group and provides solutions to help users navigate healthcare, by making health available when they need it. It reaches about a 75+million users on annual basis. Using our deep data analytics, broad capabilities, artificial intelligence, and the latest technologies made by experts, our people are continually innovating with a purpose to solve these real-world challenges - ultimately driving better health care, high benefit utilization, and reduced costs, while empowering consumers to save for health care costs in the future.
As a Senior Leader you will drive innovation and champion the needs of the Engineering teams. The emphasis for this position is technical leadership and subject matter expertise guiding the engineering team through design and complex problem-solving. The ideal candidate will have experience growing and managing distributed software engineering teams developing scalable enterprise software products in the cloud.
The engineering team has a startup culture, because of this we highly value the ability for individuals to work in unstructured and somewhat abstract roles. We like all staff to think creatively without limits or boundaries. The right leader can look beyond what is possible and be willing to push the boundaries in the product-facing organization, your role will have the following responsibilities.
- Mentor and grow leadership in the organization
- Focus on raising the bar with flawless execution
- Lead Engineering design and development for teams across multiple cross-functional domains
- Collaborate with Product Management to build long term product roadmaps, and have a strong voice in product user interaction and experience design and implementation
- Attract and hire high-performing Engineering talent into the organization
- Build succession plans and growth management talent to meet strategic and operating objectives
- The lead product, process, tooling, and hiring initiatives that go across organizational boundaries
- Understand the importance of knowledge representation and metrics to drive organizational success
- Collaborate with key enterprise teams
- Assess and recommend vendor products/tools to leadership
- Cultivate an environment of continuous engineering improvement through mentoring, feedback, and metrics
- Partner with peers to identify opportunities for code sharing, common services, joint development, etc.
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- 10+ years of software engineering experience leading teams
- Deep computer science fundamentals including Algorithms, Data Structures, and practical applications of these to build software systems
- Experience with cloud-native environments and ecosystems (AWS/Azure highly preferred)
- Proven proponent of metrics & Engineering best practices, and demonstrable track record of addressing engineering efficiency bottlenecks
- Success in growing and managing geographically distributed teams using successful recruiting, employee development, and retention
- Solid project planning and execution skills including estimating, scheduling, and executing on committed schedules
- Systems Security experience beneficial
- Advanced degree in technology, engineering, or science
- Exceptional communication skills and experience presenting to a C-level audience
- Experience with code contribution to the open-source community
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make the health system work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.SM
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.