Part Time Field Engineering Tech
Leidos is seeking a Part-Time Field Engineering Technicians to provide field inspections of utility poles throughout Central New York. This role is remote, but the candidate must reside in Central New York -- the Syracuse, Utica, Rome area.
Field Engineering Tech Responsibilities:
The successful candidate will travel around Central New York to collect data, field measurements, and photos of utility poles. These poles have maintenance concerns identified by our client in which our field engineers will document these concerns and collect the necessary data for Leidos designers to design their solutions and fixes. In general, travel will be limited on most weeks, but overnight stays are occasionally required depending on the workload. Technicians are expected to meet the goals / expectations set on a weekly basis by their boss and communicate their status / progress effectively.
- Significant walking is required; 95% of this position requires field related work. Candidate will be required to be outside year-round and every week as weather and personal safety permit and could be subject to inspection of poles in the following areas; urban, rural, backyard pole lines, private properties, and Transmission and Distribution Right of Ways.
- Work locations assigned vary monthly and could be as far east as Albany and as far west as Buffalo. If the work locations are long distances from the candidate’s home, hotels can be provided (including per diem supplements for meals generally between $50-$70 dependent on work location). Most weeks, the technician will be working locally (within a 1-2hr drive one-way)
- Candidate can either drive their own personal vehicle with a mileage reimbursement ($0.625/mi) or each week they can get a rental truck/SUV paid for by Leidos
- Candidate will receive 16 to 24 hours of training with an experienced field engineer prior to working alone. Hours are flexible based on need dates of inspections. Candidate will be responsible for following Leidos safety procedures and reporting progress daily.
Additional benefits that Field Engineering Technicians can look forward to:
- Per-Diem supplements between $50-$70 for meals while staying overnight in hotels
Field Engineering Tech qualifications:
- High School diploma minimum requirement
- Preferred candidate would possess experience within the power distribution field and/or an AS/BS in engineering (or related STEM Field)
- The ideal candidate has prior experience doing field work and distribution component identification.
- Candidates must be able to work in both team and independent environments and to organize work to meet deadlines.
- Must be local to the area.
- Knowledge of NESC Standards and Client Standards is helpful.
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.) required
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Willingness to perform both field and office work.
- Ability to work long days in outdoor environments.
- Valid Driver’s License and ability to utilize cell phone and 8MP camera.
Successful candidates can look forward to a fast paced, diverse work environment & flexible work hours/work arrangements as well as managers who will encourage career development and growth.
- Engineer in Training Certificate (EIT)
- Professional Engineer License (PE)
- Project Management Professional (PMP)
- Leadership training
- Management opportunities
In this role, you can also expect to gain:
- NESC expertise
- Structural Pole Modeling
- Electrical Power Calculations
- GIS design training
- Project management
- Financial management
Leidos is a trusted and future-focused solutions provider. Utilities consistently come to Leidos for reliable power expertise, as reflected through our work with more than 50 investor-owned utilities and more than 160 municipals/cooperatives across the country as well as a growing number of local utility providers and private developers. Our project portfolio includes large energy projects for electric utilities, power generation owners, and industrial clients.
In addition, Leidos works with an established group of industry-leading construction partners delivering meaningful energy delivery solutions. Our recognition as an industry leader is confirmed by the latest national rankings by Engineering News-Record (ENR) ranking Leidos within: the Top 10 T&D Firms, Top 10 Program Management Firms, and Top 20 Power Firms.
Pay Range:Pay Range $31,200.00 - $48,000.00 - $64,800.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.