Civil/Transmission Line Engineering Intern
UNLEASH YOUR POTENTIAL!
At Leidos, we deliver innovative solutions through the efforts of our diverse and talented people who are dedicated to our customers’ success. We empower our teams, contribute to our communities, and operate sustainably. Everything we do is built on a commitment to do the right thing for our customers, our people, and our community. Our Mission, Vision, and Values guide the way we do business.
Are you ready for your next challenge?
We are seeking current Civil Engineering students to join our team as a Civil Transmission Line Engineering Intern in Chicago, IL for the summer of 2024. As a member of our team, you will partner and collaborate with senior engineers and other interns to solve real world challenges for our utility grid customers. You can expect to gain experience in steel and concrete structure analysis and design, foundation analysis and design, substation civil/structural design, transmission line design using PLS-CADD software, construction document development, material analysis, among other tasks. This work will expand upon your current knowledge and skills and will assist you in gaining expertise in the power delivery field.
If this sounds like the kind of environment where you can thrive, keep reading!
Power Delivery Solutions is an established group of electric utility engineering consultants that solve challenging transmission, substation and distribution engineering problems for our utility clients nationwide. Leidos is a trusted and future-focused solutions provider. Utilities consistently come to Leidos for reliable power expertise, as reflected through our work with more than 50 investor-owned utilities and more than 160 municipals/cooperatives across the country as well as a growing number of local utility providers and private developers. Our project portfolio includes large energy projects for electric utilities, power generation owners, and industrial clients. In addition, Leidos works with an established group of industry-leading construction partners delivering meaningful energy delivery solutions. Our recognition as an industry leader is confirmed by the latest national rankings by Engineering News-Record (ENR) ranking Leidos within the Top 10 T&D Firms, Top 10 Program Management Firms, and Top 20 Power Firms.
Are you ready to make an impact? Begin your journey of a flourishing and meaningful career, share your resume with us today!
Successful candidates can look forward to a fast paced, diverse work environment and flexible work hours/work arrangements as well as managers who will encourage career development and growth including:
- Engineer in Training Certificate (EIT)
- Professional Engineer License (PE)
- Project Management Professional (PMP)
- Technical & Non-Technical Training Opportunities
- Mentorship & Training Opportunities
- Opportunity to Lead, Grow, and Inspire a Dynamic Team
In this role, you can also expect to gain experience in:
- Reinforced Concrete Design (ACI)
- Structural Steel Design (AISC)
- Development of load conditions (ASCE, IBC)
- National Electric Safety Code (NESC)
- Interactions with other disciplines (Substation, Protection & Controls, and Distribution)
- Strategic Development
- Expanding a Portfolio of Business
- Partnering with a Variety of Utility Clients Nationwide
THE CHALLENGE (Role and Responsibilities)
- Must have an interest in developing your skills in transmission and substation civil engineering projects.
- Assist with the preparation of project deliverables including but not limited to engineered drawings, technical reports, project-related correspondence and miscellaneous project documentation.
- Assist the team with the development of processes and procedures to improve project execution efficiency.
- Work in a team atmosphere to provide technical and project support for high voltage transmission line projects.
WHAT SETS YOU APART (Required Skills)
- Candidates must be currently enrolled in a Bachelor of Science Civil Engineering program in an accredited university with a current GPA of 2.8 or higher.
- Ability to work in both a field and office setting.
Pay Range:Pay Range $44,200.00 - $79,900.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.