Senior Systems Engineer ( 597921-1A )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
Verizon Network Systems team is looking for a passionate senior lead with Big Data experience to lead & drive end to end solutions delivery with heavy focus on data processing swimlanes within our location services platform (LOCUS).
You will build expertise in Location domain encompassing - Addresses, Locations, Plus codes, Geo-spatial data like building / parcel shapes and various 3rd party products like FME, Pitney Bowes, Trillium / Global Locator, Google APIs, Apache Airflow that provide data processing workflows, address validation, standardization, geo-coding capabilities. You will be providing thought leadership for taking the LOCUS application to the next level.
This role requires a blend of hands-on Big Data technical expertise, leadership & project management skills to formulate, execute delivery plans across multiple developers and communicate with numerous stakeholders about requirements, outcomes.
You will be working closely with business users, product owners as well as peering teams to groom features and technical design that will enable business value. As senior lead, you will be responsible for designing end to end solutions spanning data ingestion, data processing and data consumption. The design documents that you build will be detail oriented, covering high level requirements, solution approach, database design, big data processing approach, ElasticSearch document design. You will partner with UI/API leads to ensure that the design document and data consumption layer is fully cared for. You will be frequently communicating and presenting the business value being delivered in easy to understand slides
As a hands-on senior lead, you will be responsible for delivering data processing. This includes geo-spatial data ingestion workflows using FME, non-geospatial data processing using Spark / Scala, data propagation to consumption layer - ElasticSearch and Postgres database. You will be authoring end to end Apache Airflow workflows to automate data processing jobs with QA automation integrated within the flow.
You are ultimately accountable for delivering high quality LOCUS data and capabilities to peering applications on a timely basis. You will be orchestrating the development across multiple developers offshore to deliver quality features and outcomes on a timely basis. You will perform code reviews, prioritize enhancements, estimate efforts, assign tasks to other developers, set and drive timelines. You will be hands-on with Jupyter notebooks to validate the data accuracy before the code is propagated to production.
Leadership qualities and prior leadership experience as a technical leader is required for this position. You will be expected to leverage your leadership experience in setting the charter for the junior developers on the team, managing the individual projects and forming strategic partnerships with peer IT teams & business SMEs. Troubleshoot and resolve QA & Production issues with urgency. Provide extended support during release.
Where you’ll be working:
This hybrid role will have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days as set by the manager.
What we’re looking for...
What you'll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field with fouror more years of work experience.
- Four or more years of relevant work experience.
- Relevant experience in building applications using the following applications: JAVA, Spring/Spring Boot, Spark, Scala, Python, and PySpark.
- Two or more years of experience with relational database - Oracle, PostgreSQL.
- Two or more years of experience with NoSQL database - SOLR, ElasticSearch.
- Fve or more years of strong development experience delivering strategic programs
- One or more years of experience with Big data technologies - Spark, Scala, Pyspark, Hive, EMR, Apache Airflow, Oozie, Jupyter notebooks
- CI/CD pipeline development experience.
- Experience in deployment of (Jenkins, Ansible).
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- A degree or Master’s degree in one of the following: Computer Science, Software Engineering, Technology, and/or other relevant field of studyExperience with Python or any other scripting language.
- AWS certifications.
- Experience with BASH shell scripting or Perl scripting.
- DevOps container and orchestration tools (Docker, Kubernetes, Puppet, Chef).
- Knowledge of AWS and experience architecting and developing on AWS.
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment supporting multiple products across the organization.
- Experience multitasking multiple high priority objectives.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical, religious, or state law recognized reasons).