Counter-WMD Systems Engineer ( R-00084093 )
Leidos’ Defense Group has an opening for a Systems Engineer to work with our group in Alexandria, VA.
In this position you will provide systems engineering and integration support and technical expertise, to Government-sponsored R&D programs. These programs are designed to enhance US capabilities to conduct countering weapons of mass destruction (CWMD) operations, through the development of technologies to exploit WMD-related signatures and to enhance situational awareness (SA) of the WMD threat for actionable targeting. Projects involve amplifying fielded sensor performance through form, fit, and function modifications, and through mission planning techniques to optimize signature collection opportunities and probabilities of detection.
- Provide expertise in defense acquisition and development processes, and comprehensive technical expertise in WMD-related sensing technologies for localizing and characterizing WMD threats and associated activities.
- Use this expertise to provide systems engineering and integration oversight and to support planning and execution of portfolio activities, including requirements management, functional analysis, systems analysis, and transition planning.
- Perform technical planning activities of portfolio projects, to manage system development and to measure technical progress; evaluate alternative approaches to satisfy technical requirements and program objectives; assist performers as necessary to resolve technical issues.
- Evaluate WMD-related threats, signatures, and scenarios; collaborate with technical stakeholders to understand exploitation of signature propagation through environments (e.g., atmosphere, water, soil); collaborate with operational stakeholders to define capability gaps and requirements.
- Collaborate with R&D stakeholders to research ground, air and space-based sensing technologies and platforms; develop roadmaps with feasible technologies and effective system approaches to positively effect CWMD capabilities, within program resource constraints and allowable timelines.
- Coordinate and draft test and evaluation (T&E) plans; provide oversight of technology demonstration events; assist in planning, coordination, and execution to achieve objectives. Document and analyze test data, as required.
- Analyze sourced technology presentations and reports; submit conclusions and recommendations in summary reports to the government PM.
- Engage and collaborate with operators and their stakeholder organizations, as directed, to assess and promote emerging technologies; to integrate R&D prototypes into warfighter exercises and training; to conduct proof of concept demonstrations of R&D technologies; and/or to conduct tabletop exercises (TTX) supporting CONOPS development and requirements definition for emerging capabilities.
- TS/SCI clearance (will consider TS clearance with eligibility for TS/SCI access).
- MS or above in engineering or physical science discipline
- 6+ years of systems engineering management and/or technical experience in IC and/or DoD-related acquisition programs.
- 3+ years WMD and/or sensing related experience
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Enthusiastic contributor; self-motivated.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, including Visio, MSWord, MS Excel, and especially with presentations in PowerPoint.
- Familiarity with handling of classified information and derivative classification procedures.
- Ability to travel 4-6 trips per year.
- Expertise in seismic, acoustic, electro-optical, and/or electromagnetic observables and signatures.
- Expertise in signature propagation, attenuation, and influences through physical environments (atmosphere, water, soil, etc.); familiarity with transport algorithms for modeling material or signature transport and dispersion.
- Knowledge of the generation/use of intelligence products obtained from overhead assets.
- Familiarity with data fusion methods associated with merging of intelligence disciplines (i.e., HUMINT/social media with technical methods - SIGINT, ELINT, MASINT, IMINT, etc.).