Principal 4G & 5G Core Systems Engineer ( 601091-1N )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
This highly visible Systems and Maintenance Engineering position will be responsible for the introduction, deployment and integration of the Home Subscriber Server (HSS); Unified Data Management (UDR); and Authentication, Authorization, and Accounting (AAA) server that make up the Subscriber Database Management (SDM), which is part of the 4G Core and the Standalone 5G Core (5GC). The SDM Systems and Maintenance Engineer will be responsible for the testing and validation of new software releases of the applications that make up the SDM at both a component-level and from an end-to-end perspective, and collaborating with the centralized Operations to drive the First Office Applications (FOAs) in the production network.
- Work cross functionally with multiple internal groups and network vendors to provide technical leadership with regard to the 4G and 5G system/call flow during planning, staging, first office application, commercial deployment, and continued maintenance in order to fulfill complex business requirements.
- Create and maintain functional and technical requirements, analyze hardware/software features and enhancements, understand and troubleshoot system architectures, system operations, end-to-end designs and device-system interactions.
- Manage the vendor to develop and implement product roadmaps, which improve the product performance, operational and feature functionality for Verizon
- Collaborate with HQ-Planning team in the creation and submission of requests for new product functionality.
- Partner with the Planning teams to ensure prioritization of features with the vendor are assigned properly, in order to meet product and operational needs of the SDM application.
- Vendor Management: drive vendors on outage escalations, system performance, KPIs, roadmaps, installations, SLAs, and development of project needs.
Where you'll be working...
In this hybrid role, you'll have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days set by your manager.
What we’re looking for...
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Willingness to travel up to 25% of the time.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Computer Science.
- Telecommunications and network Operations and Engineering experience.
- Experience with hardware and equipment installations.
- Strongknowledge of End-to-End call flows for: 4G LTE / IMS, 5G Core.
- Knowledge of network protocols, including but not limited to Diameter, GTP, PMIPv6, SIP, DNS, and HTTP2.
- Knowledge of EPC and Core products.
- Project management experience, with strong leadership skills and ability to drive teams to consensus.
- Ability to learn new technology quickly and apply working knowledge of wireless engineering on new projects.
- Proven track record of ability to meet deadlines, multi-task, and prioritize appropriately
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills.
- Ability to manage and perform multiple projects, simultaneously.
- Experience with communication tools such as FTP, Telnet, and SSH.
- Knowledge of Solaris and HP Unix.
- Knowledge of Python.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
NYC candidates: Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 for onsite and hybrid NYC roles. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons). Additional information will be provided during the hiring process.