Principal 4G 5G Core Systems Engineer ( 601127-1P )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
This highly visible Systems and Maintenance Engineering position will be responsible for planning and executing the First Office Application of hardware and software, deployment, and maintenance of the future components associated with the 5G Stand Alone core network. The position will be highly focused on all activities related to the Access Mobility and Management function (AMF) and Mobility Management function (MME).
The Systems and Maintenance Engineer will work cross functionally with multiple internal groups and network vendors. This position will be responsible for providing technical leadership and training with regard to the 4G/5G system/call flow during planning, staging, first office application, commercial deployment, and continued maintenance in order to fulfill complex business requirements.
- Equipment/Network Engineering: perform network and equipment engineering support for 4G/5G applications and hardware.
- Project Oversight: provide project oversight for software and hardware installations under their supervision.
- Vendor Management: work with vendors on KPIs, system performance, roadmaps, installations, SLAs, and development of project needs.
- Relationships: Establish and maintain positive relationships with cross functional and regional personnel.
- Create and maintain functional and technical requirements, analyze hardware/software features and enhancements, understand and troubleshoot system architectures, system operations, end-to-end designs and device-system interactions.
- Prime planning, designing, equipment selection, staging, testing, and integration of new system hardware and software, including NFV and SDN deployments.
- Ability to apply the knowledge gained through formal and informal training to provide business decisions that improve the performance and operability of the VZ network.
- Create, update and maintain automated end to end test cases for the AMF that will be used to test and validate the functionality and features of the network function.
- Provide direct oversight for outage resolution and provide the point of escalation and support to all Network Engineering, Operations and Performance teams when outages occur.
- Identify, collect, and evaluate data relating to system problems that impact user performance and efficiency, analyze system failures and develop short- and long-term resolutions.
- Lead will be responsible for vendor escalation to ensure minimum outage duration.
Where you'll be working…
In this hybrid role, you'll have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days set by your manager.
What we’re looking for...
You'll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Willingness to travel up to 25% of the time.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, computer science, or related field.
- Knowledge with hardware and equipment installations.
- Candidate should have a strong knowledge of End to End call flows for: 4G LTE, 5G, GSM, IMS.
- Knowledge of network protocols, including but not limited to Diameter, GTP, PMIPv6, SIP, DNS.
- Knowledge of VZ network troubleshooting tools, including but not limited to XLPT, SevOne, Irisview, RTT, IP Control, Netscout
- Knowledge of Oracle products
- Project management experience.
- Strong leadership skills and ability to drive teams to consensus.
- Experience with CATS and PeopleSoft Purchasing system.
- Ability to learn new technology quickly and apply working knowledge of wireless engineering on new projects.
- Ability to be self-motivated, show initiative, and be able to work independently.
- Proven track record of ability to meet deadlines, multi-task, and prioritize appropriately
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills needed.
- Need to be highly productive and pay close attention to detail.
- Ability to manage and perform multiple projects, simultaneously.
- Knowledge with engineering and engineering economic principles preferred.
- Knowledge of databases, Excel, web-based applications, and software tool packages.
- Knowledge with communication tools such as FTP, Telnet, and SSH
- Knowledge of Solaris and HP Unix
- Knowledge of Python
- Knowledge of Webscale and container based applications
- Knowledge of VCP based deployments
- Knowledge of Verizon orchestration tools
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical, religious, or state law recognized reasons).