Sr. Linux/Unix Systems Engineer ( R-00086735 )
Looking for an exciting opportunity to make an impact as a Senior Linux/Unix Systems Engineer?
1901 Group (A Leidos Company) has an exciting Sr. Linux/Unix Systems Engineer position located in Blacksburg, VA with opportunities to work remotely. The Sr. Linux/Unix Systems Engineer will work with an elite team of IT professionals to maintain an optimal environment for critical customer systems. The Sr. Linux/Unix Engineer is responsible for the day-to-day operations and maintenance of the Linux/Unix systems and ensuring maximum availability, performance, and security for our DoD customer.
Program is slated to begin August 2022. The Sr. Unix/Linux Systems Engineer will support day-to-day operations and maintenance and improvements of the customers’ Linux/Unix environment including event, incident, change, problem, and patch management.
• Drive the design, implementation, and administration of Linux (Red Hat) in virtualized environments (AWS).
• Provide input to other teams, systems engineers, and operations staff on the status of the infrastructure.
• Work in hybrid multi-location operations team administering and maintaining non-Production and production servers
• Maintain and manage remote systems while also providing guidance to intermediate and Jr. team members.
• Plan and apply Security Technical Implementation Guides (STIGs) on remote hosts to ensure security compliance.
• Ensure that production operations are sustained during all maintenance activities.
• Confirm the execution of all applicable Information Assurance Vulnerability Management (IAVM) controls for systems.
• Submit applicable Plan of Action and Milestone (POAM) where required.
• Perform Administration activities to deliver high availability for all server resources within the AWS cloud environment while ensuring confidentiality and integrity of the environment.
• Ensure all aspects of High Availability and Disaster Recovery (DR) are operational and tested.
• Monitor health, performance, and operational trends to proactively identify issues before they become incidents.
• Support tickets and manage incidents, service requests, and problems through their full life cycle.
• Administer systems via its command line interface
• Apply system updates via YUM and RPM
• Bachelor’s degree in IT or a related field and 5+ years of experience in Linux/Unix engineering/administration, additional years of experience will be acceptable in lieu of a degree.
• Certifications: DoD 8570 IAT Level II baseline certification (CCNA Security, CySA+, GICSP, GSEC, Security+ CE, CND, SSCP)
• Understand network topology and its association with DNS Knowledge of how to partition disks using fdisk or gdisk and use basic LVM commands to create volume groups and logical volumes from physical volumes
• Able to create, delete and modify users and manage system services (start, stop, check status)
• Understanding of basic bash scripting
• Able to locate and interpret system log files to troubleshoot issues
• Understanding of Linux processes and the manipulation of them
• Understanding of MAN pages and how to use them
• Strong user management skills through the command line and an understanding of Linux/AD authentication and the use of realmd/Kerberos
• Understanding of DNS and how to configure A Records and CNAMES in a zone file and how to query DNS via nslookup
• Familiarity with AWS EC2, ALB, ELB, VPCs, security groups and an overall understanding of AWS cloud management
• Understanding the management and configuration of SELinux and how it can affect application runtime and security
• Understanding and demonstrated ability to interpret and utilize scripting (e.g. Python, Bash, Perl, etc) to automate and streamline system administration
• Communicate well with Executives, Managers, Peers, and Customers.
• US Citizenship Required
● DoD Secret clearance is required prior to start (Interim Secret clearance is acceptable)
• Red Hat Certified System Administrator or Red Hat Certified Engineer certification desired
• AWS Cloud Practitioner or Associate level certification desired
• Expert with AWS cloud technology environments
• Strong understanding of Linux kernel tuning and operating system semantics. Real-time kernel experience a plus
• Strong planning and organizational skills, able to document processes and procedures, able to understand problems, frame them for other team members, and drive to solutions as a group.
• Ability to build trust and influence inside the team, and with external stakeholders.
• Experience working with developers and cloud systems operations to troubleshoot application performance issues.
• Experience developing test programs, project plans and roadmaps, and driving them to conclusion
Who Are We?
1901 Group (A Leidos Company) prides itself on looking ahead of our competitors for the next wave of IT trends. We provide our employees with training and development opportunities, preparing them for upcoming technical challenges.
With primary office locations in Blacksburg and Reston, VA, our teams support customers from across the United States. Our innovative IT as-a Service delivery model is supported by industry certifications that ensure quality and efficient IT solutions.
We are transforming the delivery of IT services through the use of enterprise managed services that leverage the cloud to securely monitor, manage, and optimize complex IT environments.
The history of automation is what inspired the name of our company. 1901 was the year that another disruptive technology changed the world: the assembly line. Leveraging skills and materials in an efficient manner within a repeatable process that quadrupled output applies to IT services today.
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.