Principal Systems Engineer ( 599956-1C )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
Bring your advanced networking engineering and operational skills and be part of a highly dynamic team working on the new 5G subscriber database elements in a virtual environment. You will function as Tenant Ops/DevOps lead, providing subject matter expertise, engineering, and operational support for the IMS Core Subscriber Data Management (SDM) subsystems not only for the 5GC but also serving 4G, IOT and M2M. The selected candidate will lead multiple medium to large-scale projects and provide guidance and support to staff members and peers. The candidate will also develop resolutions to complex problems that require the use of creativity and makes decisions that influence key project objectives.
This team owns/operates key subsystems that are pivotal to the IMS registration and attach process. The main focus is on the IMS Subscriber Profile subsystems that include, but are not limited to, the OneNDS, Shared Data Layer (SDL), Unified Data Repository (UDR) for 5G, and the Provisioning Gateway (ProvGW). Home Subscriber Server (HSS), Authentication Authorization and Accounting (AAA), and NetAct Element Management Systems knowledge is also beneficial. Providing leadership/mentoring expertise on the facets of networking, application design, and engineering functions of the IMS Core and Cloud Transformation technologies.
- Direct the virtual SDM approach on CPI-810 and common vulnerability exploit mitigation (CVE) for the elements.
- Define and create dashboards for the reporting of service KPI and analytics for the new and existing services within the SDM tenant engineering and operations team.
- Lead the creation of dashboards for SDM operations reports.
- Interpret weekly KPI trends and measurements and help operations address capacity and demand growth on the systems by defining and creating migration plans.
- Create all tenant operations MOPs for patches and new releases with focus on reduction of mean time to repair.
- Lead performance meetings with vendor, planning and maintenance engineering.
- Create detailed project plans, and provide input to weekly status calls with teams across several organizations and direct resources ensuring timetables are met.
- Be the virtualization liaison on network and application design implementations for local redundancy and geographic diversity.
- Comment on Database architecture, replication status and ensure robust operational functioning of the service.
Where you'll be working...
In this hybrid role, you'll have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days set by your manager.
What we’re looking for...
You will need to have:
- Bachelor's degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience
- Willingness to travel
- Knowledge of Cloud computing technologies
Even better if you have:
- Advanced degree in technology related field
- Certification in Linux, OpenStack, Ansible, Kubernetes, Cloud Security or equivalent
- Experience with SDN, NFV, or Orchestration/Provisioning.
- Project Management experience
- Capability to carry out performance tuning, software/hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required
- Knowledge of TCP/IP, UDP, DNS, Netmask, DIAMETER, SIP, LDAP and load balancing
- Advanced knowledge of protocol analysis tools such as IrisView, NetScout, Wireshark, tcpdump, ping, netstat
- Experience working with high availability and disaster recovery solution
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
NYC candidates: Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 for onsite and hybrid NYC roles. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons). Additional information will be provided during the hiring process.