Senior Systems Engineer --Air Traffic
Leidos is seeking a Senior Systems Engineer who will be a member of a dynamic team working on the development of an air traffic control and management system that alleviates congestion in the En Route and Terminal airspaces. Nationwide congestion is increasing, and the need for efficient aircraft traffic planning is critical. The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Time-Based Flow Management (TBFM) program is the decision support tool that will provide NextGen Air Traffic Control capabilities to improve air traffic operations in the National Airspace System (NAS).
The TBFM program is an FAA NextGen program that uses sophisticated algorithms to derive schedules and other tools for aircraft to meet at En Route and Terminal constraint satisfaction points (CSPs) in order to balance capacity and demand, resulting in more efficient use of airspace and enabling aircraft to reduce fuel burn.
TBFM functions include:
• Deriving schedules at En Route and Terminal airspace CSPs and Runways
• Providing the capability to schedule into Departure Meter Points (DMPs) and other CSPs from the Air Route Traffic Control Center (ARTCC) or Air Traffic Control Tower (ATCT)
• Deriving tools to be used in both the En Route and Terminal domain to help controllers meet schedules derived at CSPs, including speed advisories for aircraft and other visual indicators
• Sharing information with external systems via the FAA’s System-Wide Information Management (SWIM) interface
• Tools and schedules developed by TBFM will enhance efficiency for controllers, airlines and pilots in the NAS
Senior Systems Engineer responsibilities:
Working both as a member of a team and independently the successful candidate will be:
• Implementing cutting edge technology and algorithms to increase NAS efficiency.
• Optimizing the experience for the flying public, Air Traffic Control, and the airline industry by improving schedules generated for flights at various points throughout the NAS.
• Developing A-Level System/Subsystem Specification (SSS) requirements, B-Level Software Requirements Specification (SRS), Systems Engineering Modeling and Design, and Computer Human Interface design and mock-up development for the TBFM system
• Interfacing with the FAA customer to address/answer questions relating to the developed requirements, use cases describing human interactions and design decisions
• Performing Systems Engineering as needed for the TBFM system
• Providing support needed for software development, integration and test, and other functional areas
• Articulating user needs and requirements from high level user stories
• Developing the design for the user interface framework including client and server side components; analyzing and designing databases within an application
• Applicants selected will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
• Requires Bachelors of Science and 8+ years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 6+ years of prior relevant experience.
• Systems Engineering experience, including proven experience working in complex projects gathering user requirements and converting them into system requirements
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including experience:
- working directly with customers to discuss their requirements and objectives
- interfacing with other functional areas (e.g., Software, Hardware)
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively with others in a team environment
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
• Technical leadership experience with strong organization and time management
• Proven experience with supporting highly critical customer missions
• Prior experience in a technical leadership role that requires significant coordination across multiple functional areas
• Familiarity with the National Air Space and FAA NextGen Air Traffic control programs
• Experience with IBM Doors
• Familiarity with SysML and System Engineering modeling and design approach
• Familiarity with the Atlassian Tool Suite and JIRA
• Experience supporting Requirements Reviews with customer
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.