Principal Engineer - Systems Engineering
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
Verizon is a leading provider of technology, communications, information and entertainment products, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our ambition and united in our shared purpose to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
You’ll focus on network maintenance, leading network support for operations and engineering, and providing technical leadership and expert consultation for Red Hat OS, OpenStack, resource orchestration, hardware infrastructure, and all associated tools related to cloud computing. You’ll play a key role in supporting the nation’s largest, most reliable network.
- Collecting data related to system problems, analyzing it, and developing resolutions.
- Maintaining functional and technical requirements, analyzing hardware/software features and enhancements, and understanding system architectures, system operations, end-to-end designs, and device system interactions.
- Interpreting industry standards to ensure the integrity of our platform engineering designs and vetting all methods of procedures (MOPs) to ensure technical standards are met.
- Assisting in planning, designing, equipment selection, staging, testing, and integration of new system hardware, software, and virtualized functions of the cloud.
- Partnering with various HQ departments in technology trials, interoperability tests, run first office applications.
- Participating in vendor evaluations, and performing evaluations and quality control analysis.
- Overseeing multiple large-scale, complex platforms and providing third-tier support functions.
- Acting as a subject matter expert who provides technical leadership and expert level guidance with regards to the Provisioning of SIM cards Over the Air (SIMOTA).
- Coordinate discussions/strategy sessions with Thales and multiple Verizon teams to understand Verizon’s Business/Technical requirements
- Ensure that Verizon Business Needs/Requirements are communicated to Thales teams
- Coordinate the activities involved with the generation of Thales Quotes and SOWs
- Receive, Review, Submit SIMOTA new requirement specifications
- Collaborate with Verizon stakeholders and Thales internal teams to translate functional view of requirements to technical requirements definition
- Receive, review and run Acceptance testing on any new Thales provided Software releases, Security patches or Hot fixes for the SIMOTA application
- Assist in Device to SIMOTA interactions testing and issue troubleshooting with the Device Technology Team
- Acting as the central VZW escalation/support contact to NRB, NOCC, customer service, national/regional operations and performance teams when major outages occur.
Where you'll be working...
This hybrid role will have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days as set by the manager.
What we’re looking for...
You’re a technical expert with solid credentials and a remarkable ability to find, break down, and troubleshoot problems. You work effectively with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders, and you’re great at partnering with the groups you support. You constantly look for ways to make a great network design better, and you’re a natural mentor to junior engineers looking to develop their technical skills.
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Wireless industry experience.
- Willingness to travel up to approximately 25%.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- A degree in computer science or electrical engineering.
- Experience with Red Hat Linux.
- Experience with cloud architecture.
- Experience with Management and Orchestration (NFVi or Resource Orchestration).
- Experience with OpenStack (RHEL Director) and OpenStack services (Horizon, Nova, Neutron, Keystone, Ceilometer, Glance, Heat, Cinder/Swift, or Ceph).
- Project/vendor management experience.
- Experience with Python, bash, JSON, YAML, REST, or Ansible.
- Experience with QCOW2 or RAW images.
- Experience with TCP/IP, Routing and OSI 7-layer protocol.
- Experience with Server Load Balancing (SLB).
- Experience with IMS and/or VoLTE.
- Experience with network automation and deployment methods, managing data center elements, hardware, software, and power requirements, and overseeing vendors.
- Experience in end-to-end architecture, design, test, implementation and support of roaming solutions.
- Experience with mobile handsets/SIMs.
- Experience with Network tracing, packet capture and analysis (Wireshark)
- Experience with XML generation for use in provisioning testing (SoapUI)
- Experience with UICC card reading tools for lab testing (CardAdmin)
- Knowledge of the OSI Interconnect model and how it relates to the design and deployment of structured networks.
- Five or more years of experience with platform load, stress and performance characterization.
- Three or more years of experience with deploying VNF components within virtualized OpenStack environments.
- Two or more years of experience with CICD (Continuous Integration & Continuous Delivery) and Test Automation framework (Robot Framework).
- Experience working with Agile Development teams.
- Strong network/systems design, configuration and troubleshooting skills.
- Experience in application integration and vendor management.
If Verizon and this role sound like a fit for you, we encourage you to apply even if you don't meet every "even better" qualification listed above.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
NYC candidates: Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 for onsite and hybrid NYC roles. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons). Additional information will be provided during the hiring process.