Principal Systems Test and Development Engineer
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
We promise our customers the most reliable coverage across the country, and you’ll make sure we deliver on that promise. You’ll be a technical leader and authority in network performance for a large geographic area, identifying new ways to improve speed and quality, and helping to resolve our most complex problems. We’ve got a growing customer base using more devices every day, and their expectations are high—you’ll play a key role in making sure they’re never disappointed.
As a member of the Cranford Test Development team within Verizon’s Global Supply Chain, you will improve the customer experience through the testing of Verizon’s Radio Access Network (RAN) Wireless equipment and Customer Promise Equipment (CPE) used in by both wireless and FiOS customers. You will also work with Verizon’s Third Party Screening vendors to optimize and ensure reliable and consistent testing results on the multitude of platforms used for testing and validating returned equipment. In addition, you will engage with Verizon OEMs and internal stakeholders on root cause analyses to lead change management in the improvement of Verizon RAN and CPE.
Through engagement with our data, marketing, and field teams, you will develop test systems and scenarios that both simulates the customer environment to support and confirms what the various mentioned teams are seeing in the field. Using the results objective and results from your testing, you will drive continuous improvement of new and existing product quality end-to-end from manufacturing through deployment, return, clean and screen/refurbishment, and redeployment. Product scope includes but is not limited to: Fios CPE (set top boxes, optical network terminals, home routers, network extenders, remote controls, etc.) and network equipment (remote radio heads, base band units, antennas, cell site routers, and PICs).
- Developing custom designed test setups and simulations for products within scope.
- Engaging with Clean and Screen Operations and Third Parties to review/validate test setups.
- Collaborating with our data and quality teams to identify component and sub-system defects in tested products.
- Lead Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA) and corrective action on tested/identified systemic defects.
- Identifying new opportunities for product configuration and test; bring more value-add processes within Supply Chain’s RDC operations.
- Partnering with/ communicating test results and solutions to key stakeholders and executives.
- Championing the Company's Business and Ethics Code of Conduct.
- Monitoring/Delivering for the overall Cost of Quality (prevention, appraisal, internal and external costs).
What we’re looking for...
You’re a technical expert and a self-starter who encourages team members and business partners to exceed expectations. You constantly see through the eyes of a customer, and you bring that perspective to everything you do. Your natural curiosity drives you to track down problems and collaborate with others to develop solutions.
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Experience in LTE, NR, WLAN RF conformancetest according to 3GPP.
- Experience in programming language - .NET C#, Python, C/C++.
- Experience with RF measurement using VSG, VSA.
- Willingness to travel up to approximately 25% of the time.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- Experience in setting up and testing RAN equipment including radio head and baseband unit.
- Experience in optical transceivertesting (SFP, XFP)
- Experience in reading schematics and troubleshooting component level circuits.
- Experience in developing RF test system and tools using modern RF instruments (Keysight, R&S, Anritsu)
- Experience in data analytical skills based on 6 Sigma (SPC, cp/cpkanalysis)
- Experience in testing operations for CPE mass production.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Good problem-solving, critical thinking, detail oriented and decision-making skills.
- Ability to work cross-functionally across multiple teams, and know how to flex your style to suit the situation.
- Experience in Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) and/or equivalent Google Workspace applications (Sheets, Slides, etc.).
- Experience related to the manufacturing and use of telecommunications or related devices.
- Knowledge of Supply Chain best practices and common needs/challenges of the business.
- Knowledge of Continuous Improvement principles.
- Six-Sigma or equivalent statistical, problem-solving methodology.
If Verizon and this role sound like a fit for you, we encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet every “even better” qualification listed above.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.