Systems Engineer, Autonomous Underwater Vehicles (AUVs)
The Maritime Systems Division of the Leidos Defense Group is seeking a highly capable mid-level Systems Engineer with a broad background, to support a variety of maritime projects, including work associated with the development and testing of autonomous underwater vehicles (AUVs). The qualified candidate will work with electrical engineers, software engineers, mechanical engineers, and production personnel to define, design, integrate, test, and operate electrical components, electro-mechanical assemblies, and subsea systems used in maritime applications.
- Develop and maintain requirements documents, concept of operations documents, interface control documents, and operations manuals. Conduct trade studies as required.
- Select, specify, develop, modify, integrate, and evaluate sensors, rack mounted electrical control and monitor assemblies, cabling and connectors, and electrical components (including COTS modules) for both subsea and related surface interface systems.
- Create project plans to track and status software development activities using the Atlassian tool suite.
- Review mechanical and electrical drawings for compliance with approved requirements. Interpret electrical schematics and cable wiring diagrams.
- Perform mechanical and electrical assembly, and testing of prototype hardware in the lab and in a marine environment.
- Develop project test plans and test procedures, provide test planning support, and assist in the execution of both lab testing and at-sea testing.
- Conduct electronic testing on hardware for digital and analog circuitry in systems requiring custom signal processing, amplification, power management and conversion.
- Conduct experimental tests on equipment, evaluate results, and develop specifications for deliverable systems.
- Investigate and determine root cause of product issues during testing and determine appropriate resolution
- Provide field support planning, shipboard mobilization/de-mobilization support, shipboard at-sea testing and operational support, and other field support in general.
- Interact with outside customers, suppliers, and functional peer groups.
- Occasional travel and work at remote sites for limited time periods will be required.
- Prepare and present design review materials for customers and internal stakeholders.
- Skills commensurate with primary responsibilities described above.
- BS in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or Computer Sciences and 4 - 8 years of prior relevant experience or an MS with 2 - 6 years of prior relevant experience. Years of experience may be substituted for a degree.
- Experienced with programming languages for scripting such as C++, C#, Java, Python, etc.
- Experience with installing and configuring operating systems and software applications on a Linux environment.
- Experienced in the operation of electronic test equipment including oscilloscopes, multi-meters, power supplies, function generators, insulation resistance testers, etc.
- Ability to obtain a minimum of a Secret Clearance.
- Strong organizational skills with attention to detail.
- Ability to plan, prioritize and organize work without close supervision.
- Strong, effective, and professional communication (written/verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to take initiative in troubleshooting mechanical and electrical issues; creative in determining approach or action to take in non-routine situations.
- Ability to lift heavy objects, climb ladders, and work in enclosed spaces.
- US Citizenship
- Maritime systems and/or ocean engineering experience greatly preferred.
- Prior experience with unmanned underwater vehicles and associated electronics/sensors, underwater cables/connectors, control and monitor electronics, launch and recovery subsystems, and system-to-host interfaces, including acoustic ranging and communications.
- Familiar with scripting languages and tools such as Bash and terminal emulators.
- Fiber optic telemetry experience.
External Referral EligiblePay Range:Pay Range $74,750.00 - $115,000.00 - $155,250.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.