Senior Systems Engineer Enterprise Storage and Backup
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
An enterprise Storage and Backup Engineer with in-depth knowledge of enterprise storage arrays, Storage Area Networks (SANs), and enterprise backup solutions. You should be an expert at troubleshooting issues on these platforms. You need to have a passion to learn and educate fellow teammates and guide them to follow the best practices. You are expected to Architect Enterprise solutions and deliver them by yourself or with the help of a team.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Architecting enterprise storage, SAN, and Enterprise Backup solutions.
- Leading complex projects to deploy Enterprise Storage and Backup solutions.
- Evaluatingpotential storage solutions, perform proofs-of-concept, and select solutions to be deployed in our enterprise.
- Analyzingdata to identify potential benefits to Verizon related to cost, efficiencies, performance, data center resources, ease of use, and viability.
- Providingfeedback to vendors and determine medium and long-term direction for enterprise storage architectures and software products for Verizon use.
- Mentoring the team on how to deploy, manage, and support our engineered solutions.
- Leading multiple major projects for the storage engineering team, particularly those that require highly complex or innovative technical solutions.
- Workingwith multiple teams throughout various Verizon organizations on cross-functional teams as the storage architecture representative.
- Developing operational procedures related to data protection and recovery in various forms. Document and train support personnel on these operational procedures.
Where you'll be working...
This hybrid role will have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days as set by the manager.
*This role can sit out of any U.S. based valid Verizon work location.*
What we’re looking for...
You view technology through a lens of making things better and more effective. You enjoy the process of solving complex issues while empowering the team around you to do the same. People count on you to have a strong domain experience in enterprise storage, storage networks, and general computer engineering.
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or fouror more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Willingness to travel up to approximately 25% of the time.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- A degree.
- Certifications in enterprise storage, backup, or cloud solutions.
- Expertise troubleshooting and resolving complex problems, including infrastructure and application performance problems.
- Expertise in Pure, Infinidat, EMC, Hitachi, and HP enterprise storage solutions.
- Expertise in Brocade and Cisco storage networks.
- Expertise in Enterprise Backup and Recovery software products like Veritas Netbackup, Commvault, Veeam, Cohesity, etc.
- Expertise in storage snapshot technologies and management of those technologies.
- Experience designing enterprise storage and SAN solutions.
- Excellent knowledge of Enterprise Backup storage technologies (tape device, SCSI, SAN, iSCSI, etc).
- Knowledge of multiple Operating Systems. Solid knowledge of either UNIX or Windows Server, with a secondary knowledge of the other is desired. Relevant platforms include Solaris, IBM-AIX, HP-UX, Linux, and Windows.
- Experience resolving application and database performance issues.
- Experience writing process automation, particularly related to infrastructure deployment, monitoring, and management.
- Knowledge of server applications (SQLServer, Exchange, SharePoint, Oracle, HANA, VMware) is a plus.
- Understanding of networking concepts and technologies.
If Verizon and this role sound like a fit for you, we encourage you to apply even if you don't meet every "even better" qualification listed above.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.