Systems Engineer ( R-00050452 )
DescriptionJob Description:Systems Engineer Job Description
Leidos are a growing company delivering innovative technology and solutions focused on safeguarding critical capabilities and transformation in frontline services, our work in the United Kingdom includes addressing some of the most complex problems in defence, healthcare, government, safety and security, and transportation.
We currently have several permanent vacancies for Systems Engineers with experience of defining large scale Systems, Services and applications within a Mission Critical Systems\Services Integration environment. Applicants must have SC clearance.
The successful candidate will be required to support the execution of Systems Engineering activities on a large-scale system of systems integration project. Whilst this role will include the production of a variety of engineering artefacts, a key part of the role will be working with operational users & stakeholders and architects under own initiative to define text based and model based requirements, architecture and design artefacts. This is an opportunity to work on an exciting programme delivering critical services and infrastructure key to the future of UK Air Traffic Management. Whilst this role can be mainly done remotely, regular travel to Whiteley (near Portsmouth) may be required.
THE ROLE YOU WILL PLAY
The successful candidate will have a full understanding of the principles of systems engineering, will have prior experience as a Systems Engineer on a major programme involving accepting and integrating deliveries from suppliers. Using their experience in Systems Engineering, the successful candidate will be responsible for working with customers and suppliers to execute Systems Engineering activities across the full lifecycle, with specific focus on Model Based Systems Engineering.
Specific duties may include:
- Working with operational stakeholders, technology suppliers and architects to define system of system level requirements
- Allocation of requirements to lower level services, conducting technical derivation analysis as required
- Modelling of functional requirements and scenarios inside of MBSE and architectural framework approaches
- Capturing of non-functional requirements within DOORS
- Managing compliance assessments at systems of systems, system and lower level systems & services levels
- Overseeing development of lower level designs corresponding to owned areas of the system
- Producing detailed engineering artefacts such as:
- Detailed Designs
- Failure modes analysis
- Service Management Designs
- Designs for onboarding service applications onto virtualized infrastructures
- Compliance Reports
- Security, HF and Safety artefacts
- Capacity and Throughput analysis
- Delivering milestone technical reviews and the associated work product deliverables
- Defining architectural solutions comprising multiple underpinning COTS and bespoke designs and driving the competitive selection of these technologies
- Creation of on-boarding designs
- Definition of user interfaces
- Modelling operational, business and system behaviours within architectural views
- Conducting cost/benefit/technical trade studies
- Strong experience with architecture modelling tools (e.g. Sparx Enterprise Architect, MagicDraw Cameo)
- Strong experience with Architecture Modelling Frameworks and Languages (e.g. TOGAF, MODAF, NAF, SysML, Archimate)
- Success in working within large-scale, mission critical and complex integration programmes
- Ability to work with a number of stakeholders and suppliers, working across organizational boundaries as appropriate
- Experience of developing system behavioural diagrams, modelling interfaces and developing models to encapsulate functional requirements
- Demonstrable successes within the System Engineering environment
- Excellent customer facing skills, including being able to ingest large volumes of requirements and information developing clear understanding of customer hot-buttons and needs
- Demonstrable knowledge and cognisance of adjacent disciplines, including programme management, customer relationship management, supplier management and service management
- In-depth experience of conducting detailed systems engineering trade solutions to assess options & feasibility, and define optimal solutions
- Strong knowledge of requirements and user scenario development in both text based and model based approaches
- Understanding designing / delivering systems in a Virtualised Environment
- Experience of working with Service Oriented Architectures
- ITIL including Service Management Roles & Processes
- Knowledge of Air Traffic Management or other safety related systems
- Demonstrable commitment to sharing ideas, technologies and best practices
- Experience of service management, assurance and regulation requirements and how they apply across functional boundaries
- Willingness to offer fresh, innovative ideas and/or unconventional approaches
- Ability to deliver clear messages through dialogue, written work and formal presentation
What do we do for you?
- We offer meaningful and engaging careers, a collaborative culture, and support for your career goals, all while nurturing a healthy work-life balance.
- We provide an employment package that attracts, develops and retains only the best in talent.
Our reward scheme includes:
- Contributory Pension Scheme
- Private Medical Insurance
- 33 days Annual Leave (including public and privilege holidays)
- Access to Flexible benefits (including life assurance, health schemes, childcare vouchers, and cycle to work scheme)